GT680W refuses to shutdown when the usb power is removed and runs warm

DeLorean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Front: G90 A7LA70 with GPS / Rear: G1WH
I've have two GT680W cameras that have developed exactly the same fault after being in my car for a few days.
They switch on when power is applied and run as normal and record perfectly for a short while before starting to warm up :confused:
On removing the power instead of shutting down they continue to run until the battery runs flat.
Whilst running on the battery the screen icon still indicates that the camera is running on USB power, so obvi0usly the power sense side of these cameras has screwed up :(
I've checked the output from the USB cable and it's supplying 5.5v... slightly higher than it should but not enough that I would expect it to cause problems.
I've had one open and the Novatek processor does appear to run a little warmer than I would've expected, but without having another to compare against this could be normal.
There are 3 DC to DC converters on the main board (if I'm correct) and these also appear to get a little toasty too.
I've buzzed out as much of the PCB as possible and can't find any indications of a fault.
I did suspect the 2YL6 independent linear lithium battery charger IC could be at fault or the A19T MOSFET which is involved in the battery/USB power switching, but I think I may be barking up the wrong tree as it tests okay.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a fix?
I can only imagine that the slight increase in input voltage has damaged one of the components, but which one heaven knows. Strange as all my other cameras run perfectly of the same USB power cable and 12v adapter.
I've contact Sheezeus on the chance that they may be aware of an issue and know which component(s) are damaged, but I've heard nothing back from them :(
I guess they're just not interested as I'm pretty sure this model is no longer produced.

It seems such a waste to throw these cameras in the bin as they produce brilliant footage (even at night) and are nice and small.
Any help would be greatly appreciated or it's the great dashcam pile in the sky for these two :(

I've heard that these little cameras do run quite warm, but even the SD cards in mine get quite warm :confused:
Can anyone enlighten me on how warm these cameras usually run?
I did consider just removing the batteries so they just switch on and off with the power.
However this results in all the videos corrupting on the SD card rather than my G90 where it just corrupts the last file :(
I'll leave them running all night and see how hot they become... perhaps I'll just leave them running 24/7 like one of my cameras already does.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T GT680W 3
BMbler GT680W 1
Okan GT680W 3
I GT680W 5
N GT680W 5
Back