GT680W Super-Capacitor (& Stealth) Mod

Looks nice.
My English is not too good but as far I understood you put Nano Force SUPER CAPACITOR 2 7V 10F capacitors. Previously one (in 1st build model) failed after few weeks. These new which I wrote above have been working fine for few months and don't require balancing. You just plug cables to the camera. Am I right?

I cannot use paint because it is too much work and don't have spare time but I will use black matte marker to pain buttons. Logos are not so big issue IMHO.

Other thing - you mentioned you use USB charging? Perhaps I get it wrong. My idea is to use cigarette charge or USB. If I want to use camera only for road recording, will cigarette power source be enough for these capacitors?

I may use parking mode and thus I need some kind of power for this. Are these capacitors able to give enough power for few dozen hours? Maximum 24 I guess :)
If not I thought about power bank but then it forces me to use USB charger as power bank is USB.
I have bought cigarette extension charger device which makes 4 cigarettes and 2 USB. One USB slot gives 2 ampers, other one 1 amper.

It is very hard to find things in Europe. Especially in Netherlands where is quite big backwardness in many aspects.

I have been thinking about using just battery but I think capacitors are better and they require the same amount of work - in both cases I have to open camera, plug cables in, put battery\capacitor outside and connect.
But in the meantime battery is less resistant for heat in the car. In the summer temp goes up to 70*C which is baaaaaaaaad.

Aaa so the power bank is a must then.
I see you are manufacturer, is there better firmware for the camera? I see few things which could have been better programmed.
Example loop length, bitrate change ect.

OK I changed battery but it is too large - literally 1 mm. So I must decrease it back to 150 mAh - I tried to add 300 mAh but as I said it is too big.
Original is 110 mAh, I found exact size but 150 mAh - for €3.

Last edited:
OK I changed battery but it is too large - literally 1 mm. So I must decrease it back to 150 mAh - I tried to add 300 mAh but as I said it is too big.
Original is 110 mAh, I found exact size but 150 mAh - for €3.

Two days ago you started a thread titled, "What battery should I buy?" regarding replacing the one in your GT680W where I answered all your questions about the battery in this camera and carefully explained that there is virtually no extra room for anything else except the stock battery. You even acknowledged in that thread that even 1 extra millimeter would be a problem. Specifically I said, "The original battery is a 110 mAh lithium polymer that measures 27mm L x 22mm W x 3 mm thick. Unfortunately there is very little room inside the GT680W for a battery so it is limited to the small size and low mAh rating." Now two days later you are trying to install an over-sized battery that you apparently must have already purchased before asking what to buy, and of course it doesn't fit.

After reading my explanation of why a larger capacity battery will not fit you said in your thread, "In extreme situation I just put cables out and keep battery outside in some cover." - so I suggested you take a look at this thread to see an example of how this could be accomplished on this particular camera.

If you wish to discuss mounting a battery externally on your GT680W this thread might indeed be a good place to discuss it but if you only want to revisit Saturday's discussion about replacing the internal battery in your camera, please post about it in your original thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I assume the supercaps will last longer and have a greater capacity. Are there any other advantages of super caps vs a bigger external battery? Also I was wondering what 10 farads would approximately equate to in mAh?
Aslo, is that just a piece of a circuit board you used to connect two caps together?

Hello,
I assume the supercaps will last longer and have a greater capacity. Are there any other advantages of super caps vs a bigger external battery? Also I was wondering what 10 farads would approximately equate to in mAh?

The super-capacitors will probably have much greater longevity than batteries but they don't have greater capacity. They will only run a camera for a few seconds after power shut-off and after that should be able to hold the date and time for approximately a week without being powered up again. A battery, depending on the size and capacity can run the camera for minutes or hours without an external power input. Farads are a measure of capacitance while mAhs are a measure of current storage. I'm not sure one can really equate the two but perhaps someone with greater knowledge of electronics than me can elaborate and explain further.

Aslo, is that just a piece of a circuit board you used to connect two caps together?

I used a small piece of copper that came from a plumbing part that I flattened on an anvil, cut to size with a tin snips and drilled two holes in to make an electrically conductive bridge between the two supercaps that also served to secure them together.

Last edited:
thank you for the info. I guess I'll try a bigger battery first then. My battery has died as I have to manually turn it on every time.

Back