GuardTrak GT2S model details and info

Thanks Jokiin for your patience with everyone trying to give you product advice. Your diligence to establish quality will be far more meaningful than any specific feature. Best wishes for a breakthrough on the remaining issues. Now for my comments.

As much as I want the GT2S, I am grateful you have a dual channel version planned. It is nice that the GT2S is very small. I think the majority of the market will be happy with this concept. A rear camera is now important to me. Having lived with dual cameras, my opinion has evolved. Having both lens as remote is an improvement over mounting the GT2S on the windshield and only the rear is discrete. Fewer cables need to be dressed up to the windshield. My wife's Traverse has air bags in the A pillars and and other sensors mounted near the review mirrors. The trend seems to make the windshield area less attractive to add a camera. I would gladly pay more for both lens being very small and remote. Even more if both lens would be waterproof for outside mounting. If this is too expensive as standard offering, then could the waterproof lens and long cable be a separate option to order? My preference is to mount the front camera lens in the grill or attached to the license plate frame. Rear lens mount either on the license plate frame or drill a hole in the body or in third brake light mount. Provide enough cable length to reach to the dash for the DVR. I know water can distort the lens view, but I can use a little rainX to help. I already use it on my windshield and on my wife's Traverse back-up lens. Another advantage is the outside mount would not have to look through my tinted windshield at night.

I also like the GT2S reduced angle of the wide angle lens. It is more valuable to me, to see clearly what is ahead of the vehicle without so much distortion. The very wide angle lens make the cars that are about 2 car lengths away appear to be 5-6 car lengths away, and loose image detail (license plates, etc.) I think the very wide angle lens is mostly hype for first time buyers, sounds great on the marketing sheet, like the little infrared light on the camera. Very happy with what you have done with this design.

Well I feel better having dumped my opinions. Not so sure this actually helps you any. Best wishes.

albertson, I do agree with you on some points, such as the reduced angle should be seen as a positive. However, I would not be a fan of the grill-mounted camera. While this may seem like a good idea at first glance, you would face many issues such as wind noise. There is also the issue that while no one wants to be involved in an accident, you would probably want your camera to be working and not destroyed.

albertson, I do agree with you on some points, such as the reduced angle should be seen as a positive. However, I would not be a fan of the grill-mounted camera. While this may seem like a good idea at first glance, you would face many issues such as wind noise. There is also the issue that while no one wants to be involved in an accident, you would probably want your camera to be working and not destroyed.

Don't forget all the grime that'll need constantly cleaning off the lens on a grill mounted cam. At least you have the windscreen wipers on a dash mounted one.

Plus we'd have to change the name of this forum :)

Don't forget all the grime that'll need constantly cleaning off the lens on a grill mounted cam. At least you have the windscreen wipers on a dash mounted one.
If used to capture racing I could see when a Driver pulls into make a stop for Fuel and tires they would just switch out what would be a dirty CPL filter and pop a clean one on. Now part of the latest 13 second pit stop.

If used to capture racing I could see when a Driver pulls into make a stop for Fuel and tires they would just switch out what would be a dirty CPL filter and pop a clean one on. Now part of the latest 13 second pit stop.

Sorry but I don't have an F1 team's budget ;)

It's important to have some of your own vehicle in the image, even just the bonnet profile, to give a sense of perspective. Makes it much easier to understand how far away or close something else in the image is.
And certainly an easier environment to operate in when inside the passenger compartment.

As noted at the beginning and demonstrated in the comments, I think the majority of the market will be happy with the GT2S concept as is. It is very well designed and compact. I like it too. My comment was in context to (slightly off topic) future dual channel camera from GuardTrak in prior page.

There's some dual camera models in our product roadmap, maybe later this year for those

I was hoping this dual channel cam would have both lens as remote from the DVR. I think a few did not understand. I would not put the camera (DVR) in the grill. It would be ruined by the weather or a crash. I assume the microphone would still be part of the DVR unit and located under the dash. I imagine most customers would mount the remote front lens inside and view through the windshield. Same for the rear lens. My suggestion is to include configuration flexibility into the remote lens options. If the cable connection was the same for front and rear, a customer could choose whether to use a short cable to mount either or both remote lens inside, or order the optional longer cable(s) to mount one or both lens outside. We have already seen forum members with convertibles hunting for a way to mount a rear camera or lens behind the cabin, or reach to the back of a SUV/Van. Jokiin will have better perspective whether a long remote lens cable is worth the effort.

This probably should be in another thread for ideas for GuardTrak dual lens camera.

remote lenses is no problem, we can go around 5 meters (15 feet) or so from camera to DVR, external has some extra challenges, not impossible but certainly harder to accomodate

Unfortunately 5m is not long enough, at least 7m (or better more) are sufficient if you like to hide the cable using the possibilites in the car, i.e. cabling from the DVR unit behind the dashboard, between or beside the seats and hiding the cable in the ceiling or at the ground to a rear cam. And I do not own a really big car, it is a VW Golf (Rabbit) station wagon.
In that way I am supporting the idea of a "universal" plug with the possibility to use extended cables... ;)

Regards

I'd suggest mounting under a front seat and run both camera cables up a B-pillar then one to front other to back. Run power along under console.

I do like the idea of using LAN cable so we can cut and crimp to suit........

Hmm LAN cable...
This sounds like a PoE IP cam :p

I'd suggest mounting under a front seat and run both camera cables up a B-pillar then one to front other to back. Run power along under console.

Most secure and air friendly (for cooling) mounting location for DVR unit is trunk.
Plus trunk has no heating or cooling it's closed space. For more Securety metal secure box can be installed as well.

Under a front seats, it's unsafe location for DVR.
At Valet Parking any one can get access.
Hot Air / Heat in winter NOT GOOD for Processor.
- hot air from legs vents
- heat from back legs vents (located under front seats)
Some times condensate in winter time because off difference in temperatures.

this gt2s, how long do you expect the battery to last for before it dies?? my blackspew has for a while been corrupting the last file when it shuts down, I assume the battery is screwed and not giving it enough time to close the file properly and corrupting it. only 13 months old.

this gt2s, how long do you expect the battery to last for before it dies?? my blackspew has for a while been corrupting the last file when it shuts down, I assume the battery is screwed and not giving it enough time to close the file properly and corrupting it. only 13 months old.

there is no battery, aside from the safety aspect one of the other benefits of using capacitors instead of batteries is you don't have this problem where they fail after a year or so and keep corrupting the last file

Battery ???

any way, its been a week atleast since I have asked how the betas are going and how the hardware fix is going so how are they going? hard ware fixed? still going through betas??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D GuardTrak 4
Z GuardTrak 67
Back