GX1000 Test & Review PP

In this post I would like to discuss the GX1000’s text overlay on the video footage.

It currently lists;
Camera Model: FineVu GX1000
Firmware Version: V1. 00. 001
Date: 20221226 (December 26, 2022)
Time: 14h00m11s (2:00:11PM)
Vehicle Speed: 000mi/h
Vehicle System Voltage: 14.78V
Audio Microphone: MIC ON
Number of Camera Channels: 2CH
ANV N: Auto Night Vision

First, and most importantly the Size & Shape of the text characters are too small, and difficult to read. Please see the attached screenshots of the GX1000, and compare them to screenshots taken from the Viofo A229 Duo. I would like to request / recommend they me made larger, and a more legible character font be used. Also, no lower case letters, all capitol letters would help legibility.

I like how the text overlay is located at the TOP of the video footage. Because sometimes I have noticed the text overlay on my other cameras that have it at the bottom of the screen may become illegible under curtain “window glare” situations. Also the top of the screen is usually wide open blank sky, and there is not much going on there anyway. However, I think most people would like the traditional bottom located text overlay position so I would like to request / recommend the option to choose Top / Bottom in the FineVu Wi-Fi APP for the text overlay.

DATE FORMAT;
Since it is most likely the majority of FineVu’s customers will be in the USA I find the Date Format of (YEAR-MONTH-DAY) to be unacceptable. I would like to request / recommend the option to choose the USA Date Format (MONTH-DAY-YEAR) in the FineVu Wi-Fi APP just like other dash cams.

TIME FORMAT:
Since the FineVu Wi-Fi APP has the capability to automatically “sync” the correct time, and is periodically corrected by the built-in GPS module I would like to request / recommend the Time Format be changed from “14h00m11s” (2:00:11PM). I understand the 24 Hour time format is technically superior, but I really don't like performing unnecessary math. Lol

VEHICLE SPEED FORMAT:
000mi/h should be changed to 000MPH

MISSING GPS COORDINATES;
I would like to request / recommend the GPS Coordinates be displayed in the text overlay just like other dash cams. I understand the GPS Coordinates can be obtained from FineVu’s proprietary software media player, but the whole point of dash cam footage is to provide clear evidence of what occurred. Having location info on screen with date & time is critical in proving innocence, or placing blame.

MISSING INTERNAL TEMPERATURE:
The GX1000 has a feature called “AI Heat Detection”. This most likely means there is a temperature sensor inside the dash cam. I would like to request / recommend the temperature info i.e. (120℉) be added to the text overlay. This will help consumers determine recording malfunctions due to overheating issues, like parking in direct sunlight.

MISSING CUSTOM TEXT - DRIVER NAME & LICENSE PLATE:
I would like to request / recommend this capability into the text overlay, (minimum 11 characters each). See A229 screenshot for example.

Attachments

• Time Settings (3) .png
    Time Settings (3) .png
    98.1 KB · Views: 7
  • GX1000 Front Camera .png
    GX1000 Front Camera .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • GX1000 Rear Camera .png
    GX1000 Rear Camera .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • A229 Duo Front Camera .png
    A229 Duo Front Camera .png
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • A229 Duo Rear Camera .png
    A229 Duo Rear Camera .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Temperature Sensor .png
    Temperature Sensor .png
    392.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Time Settings (1) .png
    Time Settings (1) .png
    111.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Time Settings (2) .png
    Time Settings (2) .png
    76 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I agree with Chuck that it's nice to have the status line text positioned at the top of the video. I also agree the text is very tiny and quite difficult to read for my older eyes unless you scale the video to 100% resolution on the device you're viewing the video on.

The status line shows the input voltage level, but it seems to be well below the actual value. I'm using a DC power supply that is set to provide 12.6 volts. The status line is showing voltage readings in the 12.28 to 12.35 voltage range. While the text in this screenshot looks very readable, if the video is viewed in anything less than 100% zoom level, it gets quite difficult to read.

1672131751413.png

I found that you can download the front, rear or the combined video file to your phone/tablet using the FineVu Wi-Fi app. The front only and rear only files are MP4 files while the combined video file on the microSD card is an AVI file. I found what looks like a bug or incompatibility in the Android FineVu Wi-Fi app v2.0.05 and Android 10 that I have on my device. It shows "Unsupported Function" on the "Downloaded Video" page. I had just downloaded the front only and rear only video files and it displayed this error before and after downloading those video files.

1672131407725.png 1672131449571.png Screenshot_20221227-005016.png

I found that you can download the front, rear or the combined video file to your phone/tablet using the FineVu Wi-Fi app.
I tried both ways just as you described on my iPhone SE 2020.
When I downloaded the "combined" video file of front & rear nothing ended up on my phone.
Maybe just an iPhone bug?

The Fruit phone users do seem to get hit by weirdness more often than the android ones.
Generally i do not use my phone for such things, but of course if someone send me a system i must also test that aspect, so i do prefer cameras with a screen, even if i can not read it without my reading glasses.

Many of these aspects outlined above i think might also be a cultural thing, like Koreans they do not mind if their dashcam are visible with flashy design or like this one some even have a LED that flash while parked.
That to my understanding is not something we EU and US boys like very much.

Empowering people so they can choose, i think that might complicate things in regard to APP development.

like Koreans they do not mind if their dashcam are visible with flashy design or like this one some even have a LED that flash while parked.
The GX1000's front & rear flashing security LED lights in normal & parking mode can be turned off, and you can even adjust the brightness level in the Wi-Fi APP.
So it's nice they gave the user to control that.

I tried both ways just as you described on my iPhone SE 2020.
When I downloaded the "combined" video file of front & rear nothing ended up on my phone.
Maybe just an iPhone bug?
That is not a bug. You can watch the separate footage (rear / front) on your phone directly, but not the original (integrated) one. We are working on it so please give us some time :) Thank you for the patience. As for the customization for the status line and fonts, I will pass your concerns to the Tech team, so we can provide better customer experience. Thank you so much for your feed back!
- Lexi

The Fruit phone users do seem to get hit by weirdness more often than the android ones.
Generally i do not use my phone for such things, but of course if someone send me a system i must also test that aspect, so i do prefer cameras with a screen, even if i can not read it without my reading glasses.

Many of these aspects outlined above i think might also be a cultural thing, like Koreans they do not mind if their dashcam are visible with flashy design or like this one some even have a LED that flash while parked.
That to my understanding is not something we EU and US boys like very much.

Empowering people so they can choose, i think that might complicate things in regard to APP development.
Korean dashcams have a tendency to be bigger than those from other countries, because we actually want other drivers to notice them. To put it really simply, it's like giving yourself a huge and intimidating tattoo on yourself so no one would mess with you!

GX1000 review by Redskull;

ANV N: ????? (Lexi please provide definition)
Woops I missed that one
Sorry Chuck !!

ANV stands for Auto Night Vision.

Also, I have passed on all of your feedback to the tech dept., and we are currently going through if we can develop the app that allows FineVu users to customize their OSD :)

Thank you guys for so much help!
+Redskull productions did a great job, and I am really glad that his subscribers were impressed with the night vision. Hard work pays off! :geek:

Yesterday afternoon, I chatted with Lexi. One of the things I brought up again was the combined front/rear AVI video files that the GX1000 creates. Most players can play the video file, but they only show the video from stream/video track 0 which is the video from the front dash camera. I mentioned to Lexi that I was going to test how my video editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro) handled multi-stream video files. Like other video players, it seems to only be able to access video from stream/video track 0 (unless I missed something in Adobe Premiere Pro).

I wanted to see if I could use the ffmpeg utility to create new AVI files one for the front and rear cameras. It turned out to be fairly easy using ffmpeg. Here's a Linux bash shell script showing the ffmpeg commands. I was fearing I would have to use the FineVu app to download the front and rear camera footage in the app on my Android tablet before moving them to my Windows video editing laptop, but using ffmeg and this script will make it very easy. I have a Debian Linux distribution installed on my Windows laptop using the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). I'm sure the same can be done with a Windows version of the ffmpeg utility.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# Extract front camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_front.avi
# Extract rear camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_rear.avi

Yesterday afternoon, I chatted with Lexi. One of the things I brought up again was the combined front/rear AVI video files that the GX1000 creates. Most players can play the video file, but they only show the video from stream/video track 0 which is the video from the front dash camera. I mentioned to Lexi that I was going to test how my video editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro) handled multi-stream video files. Like other video players, it seems to only be able to access video from stream/video track 0 (unless I missed something in Adobe Premiere Pro).

I wanted to see if I could use the ffmpeg utility to create new AVI files one for the front and rear cameras. It turned out to be fairly easy using ffmpeg. Here's a Linux bash shell script showing the ffmpeg commands. I was fearing I would have to use the FineVu app to download the front and rear camera footage in the app on my Android tablet before moving them to my Windows video editing laptop, but using ffmeg and this script will make it very easy. I have a Debian Linux distribution installed on my Windows laptop using the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). I'm sure the same can be done with a Windows version of the ffmpeg utility.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# Extract front camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_front.avi
# Extract rear camera video with audio
ffmpeg -i $1 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy ${1%.*}_rear.avi
Wow I have to say this is more than impressive... *jawdrop*

What is the general opinion on it? Tempted to get it or the Viofo A229 Dual

Two more reviews of the GX1000;

Anyone else is having issue with this dash cam beeping all the time while driving? When it beeps, the LED A under the rec button blinks red rapidly. I looked at the videos, and when it beeps, there’s a record of an event. But it’s really just the rain or snow hitting the windshield, or just driving on a bumpy freeway/highway.
The constant beep is super annoying.
I guess I’ll keep the speaker sound off for now but they should really get rid of the beep when driving.

Also they should provide a complete user manual explaining all the camera settings.

Welcome to the forum lehmax.

Beeps could be a event file getting created due to G-sensor being on / too sensitive setting, try a lower sensitivity or turn it off.
I never use G-sensor while driving ( if it can be turned off, some cameras do not allow for this ) CUZ why would i need G-sensor the camera record all the time, and if i get hit or see something, well i just press the event button to save it.

A #2 option could be errors with the memory card.

If its G-sensor those files should then be en mass in the event folder, if it is card related issues well you will have missing footage.

In this post I would like to discuss the FineVu Wi-Fi iOS APP, (current version 1.1.42) that is required to use the dash cam, change settings, etc. I’ll be using my iPhone SE 2020 (13.5.1). The very first time you open the APP you must authorize FineVu to collect all of your location & privacy data on your phone, even when the APP is closed, and not being used. If you do not grant FineVu permission access to your location, and collect your privacy data you can’t use the APP, meaning you can’t use the dash cam.

SNIP

Did this ever get resolved to your satisfaction or does the app still insist on a blatant invasion of privacy?

Did this ever get resolved to your satisfaction or does the app still insist on a blatant invasion of privacy?
I no longer have the camera, I have no way of checking.
-Chuck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcg530 GX1000 13
Back