Shiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are these Halo dashcams like ?

specs look good and cheaper than the likes of blackvue

anyone tried one ?

example :

Well you are comparing a regular / dumb camera VS smart camera brand, even if i think blackvue also make models that are not packing all of the smarts the bigger models have.
Build in storage i care little for, even if the camera also have a micro SD slot, if this dont have that then 64GB are much - much too little for a 4K system.
The sales ad got me a bit worried with several trigger words used, and garnished with to me all new things like " winter mode"

It do claim to use the IMX 415 sensor, if true then it is indeed a 4K system, though still on the same sensor all other true 4K systems use, so just fine in the day, and okay in the night.

3 year warranty though, thats not bad, i assume the norm in the UK are 2 years like here in Denmark.

Not much talk on this forum about road angel, but that by no means mean it is a poor or garbage brand. just hard to obtain much user experience on.

Time-lapse parking mode with no mention of low bitrate parking mode? No thanks!
Dashcam with ADAS? No thanks!
Telematics? No thanks!
No name brand? No thanks! I'll let others be guinea pigs and let it appear here first.

Time-lapse parking mode with no mention of low bitrate parking mode? No thanks!
Dashcam with ADAS? No thanks!
Telematics? No thanks!
No name brand? No thanks! I'll let others be guinea pigs and let it appear here first.

Halo is from a well known company called "Road Angel"
they done camera detection stuff and blockers for years ! they were the bees knees back in the day

well just cuz you made some kick ass fishing hooks, it dont mean you will be a good car maker too. ;)

But yeah the brand just have not seen much action on this forum, that could actually be a good thing as people have just gotten something from them, and it worked, so no need to go searching for this forum for help with something.
I do consider them a gamble, but that do not mean it is a game of Russian Roulette you will be playing with your heard earned money.

Halo is from a well known company called "Road Angel"
they done camera detection stuff and blockers for years ! they were the bees knees back in the day
In the UK maybe.
They're not well known in the US.
Never heard of Halo (besides the video game) nor "Road Angel".

Road Angel have quickly become widespread here in the UK dash cam market. A few of my local car audio installers when I contacted them about Viofo cams were trying to push Road Angel cams. Halfords (biggest installer of dash cams in the UK) also sell/install them and they're the only dash cam Costco UK sell.

I was considering their Halo Ultra 4k dash cam but was put off by a number of things. Alot of the reviews mention that the app is terrible, which to be fair seems to be common with every dash cam manufacturer (look at the ratings of Blackvues app on the Google Play/Apple stores) but the problem with this dash cam is there's no SD card slot so you have to connect to the app to get footage, which if the app doesn't work is a bit of a problem. The device has a 64gb built in high endurance U3 memory card which sounds good but presumably means that if the card fails then you have to buy a new cam (unless there's a way to take it apart and replace the card). 4k is also at 25fps. The official Road Angel website says the Ultra model has a "Variable Voltage Battery Cut-Off" under the specs, but this isn't advertised clearly or in the (very brief) manual so wondering if could be a listing error. Just sounds a bit risky or inconvenient to me. The cam itself appears to be a rebrand of a Chinese cam called DDPAI Mini 5 if that means anything to anyone (and the DDPAI website says it has super capacitor, not sure if the Road Angel variant has one).

I'm still researching for my next dash cam and am leaning towards Viofo based on general reviews, just seems to be more for the money and more reliable.

Back