HaloCam M1 Motorcycle Dash Cam Installation

ATangK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Just found this site and I recently installed a HaloCam M1 dash cam on my motorcycle. Bought on Amazon for AU$250 and it is 2 channel 1080p 30fps, with wifi, wired remote, GPS and auto records with ignition switch. No G sensor or 60fps though.

Got sick of using GoPro to record my commutes so that is why I had this installed. Wanted it to be stealthy and only as a dash cam backup.

It is on an imgur album though, as there is quite a few pic {click here}

Have yet to write up a review but the initial thoughts are pretty good as today was my first time riding with it installed. I mention the rear view camera is a bit dodge with the fender in the way but reviewing the image it looks acceptable.

What do you guys think?

ust found this site and I recently installed a HaloCam M1 dash cam on my motorcycle. Bought on Amazon for AU$250 and it is 2 channel 1080p 30fps, with wifi, wired remote, GPS and auto records with ignition switch. No G sensor or 60fps though.
Not waterproof? Price seems that a little higher!

This is a dealbreaker for me.

How can a unit designed for motorcycles NOT be waterproof?
Here is an excerpt from the announcement of the goods on Amazon
Waterproof and dust proof lenses , the monitor isn't waterproof;
What is called “monitor” in the announcement is the main unit of dashcam, the slot for the memory card and the buttons on the case are also not sealed
Motorcycle Recording Camera System by HaloCam M1.jpg
Apparently the manufacturer decided that it would be enough to have waterproof cameras...

Apparently the manufacturer decided that it would be enough to have waterproof cameras...
It might be for some people, certainly for a wifi camera, but for a camera with a monitor, surely you want to be able to see the monitor, so it can't be placed in a dry place!

I can't imagine designing anything for a motorcycle and not making it waterproof. Even big cruiser bikes like Goldwings get wet. Not all motorcycles have waterproof storage areas, not all motorcycles have waterproof underseat compartments, etc.

I have one of these Motorcycle cams too, i purchased it about a week ago. Here are some things that i like about it...

1- IMO, great video quality - nice colors, nice detail, good wide view and it handles dark areas very well. This is my first camera system though, so i am not a 4k junkie like others are, but it is good.
2- Great sound pickup. If a cop were to pull me over and not say anything if i had the key on for power [but engine off], it could easily record what he is saying too me and vice versa. Legal issues aside because some states have different rules on that, i like it.

Things that i do NOT like about it...
1- The unit / DVR is buggy. If you set it too record for 5 minutes, then your video will be extremely stuttering, it will literally run at 1 fps for about 5 seconds then it will run fine for another 10 seconds, hiccup again for a few seconds...The firmware is not good.
2- This goes back to point 1 and expands upon it. I run my recording time for 3 minutes now so i don't get any hiccups/stuttering. But 9 times out of 10 when first starting up the bike, it will record video for 4 seconds then the video will stop recording, and it will just record audio until the end of the clip...the next 3 minute clip is fine. I don't know what setting is needed to un-bug that. I feel like a beta tester with this unit in a way, this is something their guys should have done back in China, not me. If anyone knows the trick too stop that issue feel free too reply.
3- The DVR itself is not waterproof. I personally don't care, i want too keep this unit [mic/cameras] permanently installed on the bike and not have a nice looking DVR stand out to entice jealous vandals or thieves, so i keep that under the seat. Though the point remains that since it IS a motorcycle kit, it should be water proof since that is what it is.
4- Points 1 & 2 are HUGE negatives to this unit. For the price it should not have any of those problems, it should purr like a kitten.

I think i will still keep this device anyways, i tried other motorcycle cameras out and have had mixed results with them. Usually the camera quality is just utter ****e, and the DVR is ok, i am talking about not being able to read plates even when directly behnd someone. This unit can, so a 1 minute record time is what i am likely to settle on so if it bugs out it will fix itself a minute into the ride.

Last edited:
I have one of these Motorcycle cams too, i purchased it about a week ago. Here are some things that i like about it...

1- IMO, great video quality - nice colors, nice detail, good wide view and it handles dark areas very well. This is my first camera system though, so i am not a 4k junkie like others are, but it is good.
2- Great sound pickup. If a cop were to pull me over and not say anything if i had the key on for power [but engine off], it could easily record what he is saying too me and vice versa. Legal issues aside because some states have different rules on that, i like it.

1- The unit / DVR is buggy. If you set it too record for 5 minutes, then your video will be extremely stuttering, it will literally run at 1 fps for about 5 seconds then it will run fine for another 10 seconds, hiccup again for a few seconds...The firmware is not good.
2- This goes back to point 1 and expands upon it. I run my recording time for 3 minutes now so i don't get any hiccups/stuttering. But 9 times out of 10 when first starting up the bike, it will record video for 4 seconds then the video will stop recording, and it will just record audio until the end of the clip...the next 3 minute clip is fine. I don't know what setting is needed to un-bug that. I feel like a beta tester with this unit in a way, this is something their guys should have done back in China, not me. If anyone knows the trick too stop that issue feel free too reply.
3- The DVR itself is not waterproof. I personally don't care, i want too keep this unit [mic/cameras] permanently installed on the bike and not have a nice looking DVR stand out to entice jealous vandals or thieves, so i keep that under the seat. Though the point remains that since it IS a motorcycle kit, it should be water proof since that is what it is.
4- Points 1 & 2 are HUGE negatives to this unit. For the price it should not have any of those problems, it should purr like a kitten.

I think i will still keep this device anyways, i tried other motorcycle cameras out and have had mixed results with them. Usually the camera quality is just utter ****e, and the DVR is ok, i am talking about not being able to read plates even when directly behnd someone. This unit can, so a 1 minute record time is what i am likely to settle on so if it bugs out it will fix itself a minute into the ride.
Funnily enough, your issues are exactly what im having troubles with right now. I cannot fix the system recording with 4 second blocks which occurs every 3/4 attempts. The solution so far is to log into the app at the beginning of the ride to make sure it records, which is not a solution in my eyes. I have been back and forth with the manufacturer and they have even sent me a second DVR machine, and are about to send me a whole new kit. But I cannot write a review on a unit with such a bug so that is why I have put it off for so long and continue to do so.

I had yet to hear of anyone else with this issue though so I thought it was an isolated event, but I suppose now it isnt...

Actually you said it fixes itself a minute into the ride. Mine won't start a new recording so the entire ride will be pure audio + 4 seconds of video, even if its an hour. This makes it useless. Funnily enough pressing the button to record 'wonderful video' still works, but it is in 540p or 480p which sucks...

Funnily enough, your issues are exactly what im having troubles with right now. I cannot fix the system recording with 4 second blocks which occurs every 3/4 attempts. The solution so far is to log into the app at the beginning of the ride to make sure it records, which is not a solution in my eyes. I have been back and forth with the manufacturer and they have even sent me a second DVR machine, and are about to send me a whole new kit. But I cannot write a review on a unit with such a bug so that is why I have put it off for so long and continue to do so.

I had yet to hear of anyone else with this issue though so I thought it was an isolated event, but I suppose now it isnt...

I was surprised to hear little of these problems too, most of the reviews don't mention this stuff which makes me wonder if many of the reviews are sweetheart reviews for getting the kit for free to review.

And this is actually my second unit with them. I briefly installed the first unit that i recieved about two weeks ago, it was great when testing it with the usb tester before installing it, so i went ahead and put it on the bike and it was then that i saw the stutters it has when in motion if set to a 5 min recording time. I didn't know that was the issue at the time until they sent me another unit and ran perfect @1min then went to ****e @5min....I think their firmware is just bad.

Last edited:
Actually you said it fixes itself a minute into the ride. Mine won't start a new recording so the entire ride will be pure audio + 4 seconds of video, even if its an hour. This makes it useless. Funnily enough pressing the button to record 'wonderful video' still works, but it is in 540p or 480p which sucks...

The issue i have with the recording is that once that first clip ends and it starts a new clip, the new clip is good. I would mess around with your recording time settings and see if you have any luck with that, that definitely had a effect on the stuttering problem with mine.

The issue i have with the recording is that once that first clip ends and it starts a new clip, the new clip is good. I would mess around with your recording time settings and see if you have any luck with that, that definitely had a effect on the stuttering problem with mine.
Mine will not start a new clip because it continues the previous clip until even 50 minutes... If i had your problem I would half arsedly accept it and keep going. If it records well once, the rest of the ride is okay. If the first 4 seconds messes up, the entire hour ride of mine is gone. Maybe I will but I dont have the time to mess about too much with their product if it doesnt work when I paid hundreds for it..

Mine will not start a new clip because it continues the previous clip until even 50 minutes... If i had your problem I would half arsedly accept it and keep going. If it records well once, the rest of the ride is okay. If the first 4 seconds messes up, the entire hour ride of mine is gone. Maybe I will but I dont have the time to mess about too much with their product if it doesnt work when I paid hundreds for it..

I can't blame you at all, you should try and get a full refund. The Blueseasky DV688 is the unit i was about too get instead of this one, it supposedly has good firmware, the dealbreaker for me was i don't think it has wifi...But regardless, you should definitely make a stink about it too them and get your money back.

I can't blame you at all, you should try and get a full refund. The Blueseasky DV688 is the unit i was about too get instead of this one, it supposedly has good firmware, the dealbreaker for me was i don't think it has wifi...But regardless, you should definitely make a stink about it too them and get your money back.
Its been quite a while, and I took so much time and my install looks clean right now... Would be a shame to have to cut it all out and do it again... Is that the route youve taken or is 1 minute working for you? Mind if i ask if you are using the halocam auto or halocam moto app?

If i connect to the app before riding it works everytime, but as I said I really dont want to do that before every ride...

Its been quite a while, and I took so much time and my install looks clean right now... Would be a shame to have to cut it all out and do it again... Is that the route youve taken or is 1 minute working for you? Mind if i ask if you are using the halocam auto or halocam moto app?

If i connect to the app before riding it works everytime, but as I said I really dont want to do that before every ride...

I am using the HaloCam Auto app. Right now i am going to stick with the 1 minute recording time and if any more issues pop up, i think i will try and get a refund, and try to deal with not having wifi on the DV688 unit from Blueseasky.

I did have to take off the cameras i had from the first unit, i hated to do it since i had it looking nice as well + it is a lot of time to do, but most of the work to me was finding where too place the cameras at and where to hide the cables at neatly. So the tear down and putting the replacement on was really quick compared to the first time.

Also, i have spare time for myself this week so i am looking at settings and seeing if anything fixes the 4 second video record BS, i will post a update in this thread for you if i find a setting that works.

Last edited:
Just a update on the freezing problem.

I have messed with it a bit today, mostly just testing the DVR by keying the ignition but not running the engine to see if it freezes up. I did that about 15 times on and off and had only one time that it froze up, which was the last time i tried it that way as my battery was around 65% at that time and may have caused that result...I am starting to think that the unit that powers it, the 12v to 5v brick that gets tied into the ignition switch, is not converting the power correctly or it has some spikes that trips up the recording - especially when the engine is turned on right away.

I am testing it now with the unit directly connected to the USB test dongle and so far i have had zero issues with the 4 second freeze...This is definitely something their guys should have caught.
@ATangK -- I notice that you have USB ports on your motorcycle, have you tried powering the dvr with those ports to see if it makes any difference?

Last edited:
My suspicion is also with the power supply, esp as I usually turn key on and immediately start throttle. As with all vehicles the electronics are cut when the starter is pushed, so that’s possibly the concern. However, I don’t know if using the USB ports will change much. They, and the power ports I’m using are both connected using the same aux power relay, I may find an extension USB cable and try it at some point, but I think the issues will still replicate if you start up immediately after turning key to on.

My suspicion is also with the power supply, esp as I usually turn key on and immediately start throttle. As with all vehicles the electronics are cut when the starter is pushed, so that’s possibly the concern. However, I don’t know if using the USB ports will change much. They, and the power ports I’m using are both connected using the same aux power relay, I may find an extension USB cable and try it at some point, but I think the issues will still replicate if you start up immediately after turning key to on.

I'm like you and i always go straight too turning the engine on...Bad news though, is that i got a freeze using the USB test dongle, so this is back to square 1 of it being a firmware issue. Idk if i am going too keep this unit now.

Hi there..
I just found this site and info on researching issues I am having installing and running the HaloCam.
This is what I have discovered. I have an older Harley Police bike, and wired the power into the ignition, bike not running, camera runs, turn on lights camera turns off, so I wired in the power to the lights, bike not running turn on ignition then lights camera runs, OK, start bike test drive, camera stops every time at idle.
Removed the unit, and tested the wiring.

When the ignition is on there is 11.8 volts at the terminal I used for connection. Turn lights on, 11.47 volts camera shuts of. Start the bike and camera turns on BUT only when Idle is 1000RPM and above, I am not getting enough amperage at idle, normally 800RPM. I am not changing my alternator for this, so I cannot run this camera connected to light or ignition.

Therefore I wired into the main breaker from the battery, bike not running 12.04 and running 11.87 volts. and wired it into my dash area with a toggle switch. Now works, success.
But. Also have issues with recording, as you guys have pointed out. Will test out today going to work.

Also, weird issue I had and nobody has mentioned it, when I put the TF card it said card inserted, then tap Format on the I phone it said TF card pulled out. then TF card inserted, apparently this means that it has done the format, according the the seller that I questioned about this.. ??
Also running the head unit with a USB or on the bike, I do not any menu at all. I have to use the app on on my i phone.
These are my observation and would appreciate feedback on this.
Thank You.

Back