Handbrake turn fail

Haha Boy racers :giggle:

Thank god i am no longer a boy ;)

Yeah, those were two green youngsters who probably bought a 200-300Eur car (banger) just to show off, to "compensate" their too low self-confidence and too high adrenaline.

Were they trying to turn into that gate or upcoming street? That was really odd.

Were they trying to turn into that gate or upcoming street? That was really odd.
Who knows what was on their "mind"?

They almost did it. Why are they continue going in reverse?:eek:o_O:unsure:

i want to see them try the reversing to 180 turn driving forward, dunno whats it is called in english that evasive driving maneuver, in among my "crew" we just called it the James Bond turn.

Saw i guy totally destroy the gearbox in a stolen BMW 323 trying to do it.

I have only done it on snow witch was pretty cool not least since i was driving a brand new car to and from the ferry as my colleagues drove other cars off the ferry.
The officers was not impressed wit it i was told afterwards, but i just replied " did it ever look as if i was out of control and in danger of hitting something" and they had to agree that no i pretty much nailed it every time.

i want to see them try the reversing to 180 turn driving forward, dunno whats it is called in english that evasive driving maneuver, in among my "crew" we just called it the James Bond turn.

Saw i guy totally destroy the gearbox in a stolen BMW 323 trying to do it.

I have only done it on snow witch was pretty cool not least since i was driving a brand new car to and from the ferry as my colleagues drove other cars off the ferry.
The officers was not impressed wit it i was told afterwards, but i just replied " did it ever look as if i was out of control and in danger of hitting something" and they had to agree that no i pretty much nailed it every time.
I tried that kind of stunts,but only on snow,not even once on the dry or wet (fl from rain) road,and not on public ones.
I can only guess how dangerous for gearbox ( manual one ) it is. I hadnt drive a car with automatic gearbox.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

On the dry i think you need some power and or some speed at least, on snow its possible to do it at a low speed and without too much load on the mechanics of the car.

It could also be "my friend" in the stolen BMW did it all wrong, but that poor car dident last long.
The car i was driving in was a brand new one not even hit the dealership yet, but no fierce teeth grinding or clunk sounds when i was driving, i recon the snow and maybe me being better at "dancing" on the pedals than my "friend" in the stolen BMW.
I think when done right that evasive maneuver in a car are not that hard on the drivetrain, not even on dry tarmac, the tires are probably the part that suffer the most as you do spin them.

Also i just got to think the car i did it in was FWD the BMW on the other hand are RWD, i am not sure if the procedure are the same for the 2 kind of cars, i learned it myself in my own car the 1.6 Opel Kaddet GT i drove back then, also a FWD car.
The ferry line when i started got 30.000 DKkr in damages on cars every month, we then started to do inspection on the cars before and after we handled them, and it turned out for a long time we paid for dents and what not the trucking company and other made, at least it dropped to near zero.
And those truckers, they would smoke tires on a car drivning in between 2 lines of other parked new cars, thats how careless they where, i cant say i ever saw any of us sailor guys do the same in the cars, though i was just on one of four or five crews manning the 3 ferry's.

On the dry i think you need some power and or some speed at least, on snow its possible to do it at a low speed and without too much load on the mechanics of the car.

It could also be "my friend" in the stolen BMW did it all wrong, but that poor car dident last long.
The car i was driving in was a brand new one not even hit the dealership yet, but no fierce teeth grinding or clunk sounds when i was driving, i recon the snow and maybe me being better at "dancing" on the pedals than my "friend" in the stolen BMW.
I think when done right that evasive maneuver in a car are not that hard on the drivetrain, not even on dry tarmac, the tires are probably the part that suffer the most as you do spin them.

Also i just got to think the car i did it in was FWD the BMW on the other hand are RWD, i am not sure if the procedure are the same for the 2 kind of cars, i learned it myself in my own car the 1.6 Opel Kaddet GT i drove back then, also a FWD car.
The ferry line when i started got 30.000 DKkr in damages on cars every month, we then started to do inspection on the cars before and after we handled them, and it turned out for a long time we paid for dents and what not the trucking company and other made, at least it dropped to near zero.
And those truckers, they would smoke tires on a car drivning in between 2 lines of other parked new cars, thats how careless they where, i cant say i ever saw any of us sailor guys do the same in the cars, though i was just on one of four or five crews manning the 3 ferry's.
Might depend on the gearbox, if like mine it doesn't have proper synchromesh on 1st then going from reverse to 1st while moving would not be good, especially if you were going a bit fast for 1st. Using 2nd would probably be fine, and the right gear for the speed, but I suspect most people who don't know what they are doing would use 1st.

Yes you will have to neutralize the gearbox when going from revers to 1 or 2 gear, i did so by use of the brakes having all 4 tires stopped for a split second as i changed gears as the car spin around, so no grinding switching the gear, and when you dump the clutch to go forward you are halfway there and the front wheels pull you around and in the other direction.

Come to think off it doing the same in a RWD car some things might have to change, but i have never really driven RWD cars other than my first car the volvo 121 Amzone.

Also found in my Opel on snow you can actually also use the handbrake to bring the sliding rear end back in control, really too bad i dident have a dashcam back then in the 90ties, i was doing the automotive ballet with that car on the harbor in Aarhus on my annual winter driving courses. :)

Might depend on the gearbox, if like mine it doesn't have proper synchromesh on 1st then going from reverse to 1st while moving would not be good, especially if you were going a bit fast for 1st. Using 2nd would probably be fine, and the right gear for the speed, but I suspect most people who don't know what they are doing would use 1st.
Its make sense,in my country,mostly poor,and people are inventing and doing things other might not do,they manage to find solution for some problem real quick and fix something without too much right tools.
Anyway when car battery is at the end or dead,they are pushing cars or let it go downhill and then start car engine instead of just using cables and another cars battery.
During starting car in "a push" way, its recommended to put gearbox in 2nd or 3rd level/gear, not in first to equal the speed of a car with speed and speed of gear which car is in. If doing that car is in 1st gear, car want start and you put too much pressure to gearbox to handle and parts in the engine like valves etc will be damaged and broken.
Edit: Just to add: few years ago I was i situation away from home (hometown), and clutch on my dad's VW Golf 2 suddenly broke, I managed to drove the car back home for about 100km distance with any problems and changing gear like clutch is OK,one man which is mechanic show me how to do that, and I drove it back all the way.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes you will have to neutralize the gearbox when going from revers to 1 or 2 gear, i did so by use of the brakes having all 4 tires stopped for a split second as i changed gears as the car spin around, so no grinding switching the gear, and when you dump the clutch to go forward you are halfway there and the front wheels pull you around and in the other direction.

Come to think off it doing the same in a RWD car some things might have to change, but i have never really driven RWD cars other than my first car the volvo 121 Amzone.

Also found in my Opel on snow you can actually also use the handbrake to bring the sliding rear end back in control, really too bad i dident have a dashcam back then in the 90ties, i was doing the automotive ballet with that car on the harbor in Aarhus on my annual winter driving courses. :)
Probably not possible to do a J-turn with any of the latest cars now that electronic stability control is mandatory and electronic handbrakes are normal!
Even with older cars, locking the 4 wheels is not easy with ABS.

Indeed, that's one reason i hate the smart stuff in cars, it might be good for the general public, but we are still some that have been doing fine before that stuff.

Just been out doing some audio testing on the B1W i cant even do a 90 degree handbrake turn on ice with my stupid little car.

With a bit more practise they will get it right :eek:

the process is pretty much the same in a RWD - i've done J turns in both my miata and a camry. it was actually easier to get the car to rotate in the miata because there was less weight over the front wheels. however, the camry was easier to come out of the turn, because the fwd pulls you in the right direction. do it too fast or too jerky in a rwd and you'll break all 4 wheels loose and just go spinning out of control and almost hit a light pole. at least, that's what happened to me. :oops:

the trick about handbrake turns is that you usually need to let go of the handbrake before about halfway through the turn, if you even hold it that long. most times you just need to sort of "spike" the handbrake right after pitching the car into the turn to get the car rotating, and once the slide is started, you have to get the rear wheels rolling again to maintain some control. actually not all that different (timing-wise) compared to popping the clutch to start a drift (or just do a 180) in a RWD car. i embarassed myself in the miata trying to make a quick 180 on a wide road in houston... didn't see the sand in the road before i started my turn, and ended up doing a full 360 instead of just a 180. at least i didn't stall it, so i was able to get going again quickly, but yeah, that was not my proudest moment. :p

Well, this is an interesting fact:

World record
The narrowest J-turn was performed in a Renault Twingo, between barriers set 3.78 m apart. The diagonal length of the car, 3.70 m, meant stunt driver Terry Grant had a gap of 4 cm on each side. This happened at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, UK, at the Pistonheads show on 11–13 January 2008.

:)

i embarassed myself in the miata trying to make a quick 180 on a wide road in houston... didn't see the sand in the road before i started my turn, and ended up doing a full 360 instead of just a 180. at least i didn't stall it, so i was able to get going again quickly, but yeah, that was not my proudest moment. :p
It's more difficult in a short wheelbase car, almost impossible in something like a Lotus Elise where the engine is in the middle so the engine's weight doesn't slow the spin.

Back