Happier with the 412GW

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Having started off with an £8 cheapo off fleabag and upgrading to an Aldi dash cam, in time I got bored with its decent quality. It cost £20 and gave very usable video.

But I decided I wanted a bit better still so I opted to exchange this because I wasn't happy with the video results from a screen mounted cam.

So I have gone over to the Nextbase 412GW. This one is much more to my liking.

Here's the replacement - must be down to the windscreen proximity and where I can mount the 412GW.

Still room for tweaks as well...

Just 60 seconds into the first video in the 412GW and there was almost an incident!

Paul.

Last edited:
I find the nextbase cams are great when new!!

With the latest firmware they accept upto 128gb micro sd cards! I'm currently on latest firmware using 64gb micro sd card

With the latest firmware they accept upto 128gb micro sd cards! I'm currently on latest firmware using 64gb micro sd card

I think 64 is plenty enough for me. :)

Paul.

Is there an option to display your vehicle's speed on the live screen of the 412GW?

I know about it in WiFi live screen mode on the mobile phone app, but what about the device itself?

If no, will there be a firmware update to enable it?

There isn’t at the moment @Paul Iddon, it’s available on the 512GW though so I’ll find out if there is any possibility of it becoming available in later firmware versions.

I’ll come back to you tomorrow at the latest.

There isn’t at the moment @Paul Iddon, it’s available on the 512GW though so I’ll find out if there is any possibility of it becoming available in later firmware versions.

I’ll come back to you tomorrow at the latest.

@NextBase Tiffany - Thanks Tiffany. Another thing I noticed yesterday when showing off the wifi to mobile function to my friend, the delay is significant (at least on mine - perhaps 3 or 4 seconds behind real time. Is that normal is the the delay greater than it should be?

And the delay in real time can be seen here on the GPS? Is this normal too (or is my cam lagging badly)? Note how my car is stopped at the traffic light, but the even stopped, the speed on the GPS takes ages to zero down...

Paul.

What you can see here is normal, the speed is calculated as distance travelled over time taken which is not as accurate as wheels on the road.

There will be lag as the car accelerates/decelerates, if you view the files on a computer with Replay 3 the speedometer in the bottom left will seem slightly more real-time.

If you haven’t already downloaded it you can get it here https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/NEXTBASE-Replay-3-Setup-3.2.6.exe

Last edited:
@NextBase Tiffany

Another firmware update would be increased time sections for recordings.

A four hour journey south from Preston means 48 files! Having 10 or 15 minutes options in this case would be a godsend and other manufacturers have longer options.

Something else Tiffany - it can take up to 90 seconds for the GPS to acquire and lock in. Seems a long time that, seeing as the Viofo I tried before yours found GPS in under 5 seconds....

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi @Paul Iddon

Sorry for the delay in me getting back to you.

The speed display is going to remain a feature for the 512GW alone unfortunately.

Yes I can see the benefit of increasing the recording size however in the event of an accident it is usually over within seconds, its easier to transport/upload/find shorter files.

I will get that fed back to the development team for future considerations though.

Yes - 90 seconds is about what I experience on my 412GW also, we're exploring ways to improve this at the moment.

Thanks Tiffany.

Shame about the GPS on screen...

Still it will be good if the lag/delay in the GPS acquiring a lock could be sorted. As I mentioned, Viofo (the 119) is able to do it almost straight away so I would hope Nextbase should be able to solve the delay easily enough.

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks jokiin- interesting read.

Paul

Back