Happier with the 412GW

@NextBase Tiffany

You mentioned the 512 alone has the speed showing live, would it be rolled out perhaps to the 412GW when Nextbase bring out the 612GW (which is bound to be the next upgrade model) perhaps?

I wish I had known the speed wasn't shown tbh - I just assumed it would have been having tried a Viofo 119 which did it in their model, and I am maybe just a little bit disappointed in this one aspect of the dashcam.

I don't suppose you guys would consider a swap-out? ;)

Is there a link to the previous version of Replay 3?

I quite like how the layout was compared to the latest 3.2.6 version.

Hi :) ,

The 612GW is going to be a 4K model, specific menu features are not finalised yet ( I can keep you posted).

We wouldn't be able to swap a 412GW for a 512GW sorry @Paul Iddon.

I certainly can - some features may be lost but if you prefer it please inbox me your email and I will send it over to you.

The 612GW is going to be a 4K model, specific menu features are not finalised yet ( I can keep you posted).

@NextBase Tiffany ...When you need a tester, to trial one in Preston, I'll forward you my address ;)

We wouldn't be able to swap a 412GW for a 512GW sorry @Paul Iddon.
Boo hoo... :( lol...

I certainly can - some features may be lost but if you prefer it please inbox me your email and I will send it over to you.

All received, thanks :)

Paul.

We will keep that in mind :D
You're welcome, get in touch if you need anything else.

We will keep that in mind :D
You're welcome, get in touch if you need anything else.

I think it would be awesome to try a 4K option Tiffany. Can't afford one now I have this one of course but God loves a trier, heheheh... :love:

Paul.

Had to take my 412gw back to Halfords again today having only brought it a couple of months ago (approx 3 months) 1st time it had white lines on screen but managed to disappear. Few months down the road it would come up with sd card error or low battery. So it would boot up record for 5 seconds then switch off then back on again etc. So got another replacement today and purchased approved Sandisk 32gb sd card from Halfords to let's see how I get on

That doesn’t sound right @Tony lovelock was it the same unit that had the white lines?

Did you have a SanDisk with the 412GW before buying one today?

I know you had the latest firmware as we’ve spoken previously. Do you have any photos/videos of the white lines (if you do please pm them over)?

Hey @NextBase Tiffany - somebody has beaten you to 4K....
maybe, a lot of the product that is promoted as 4k is not real 4k, seen a few brands just recently promoting their new 4k dashcams which don't use hardware which actually does real 4k anyway, in no name product I'd be very cautious about accepting what they claim at face value

That doesn’t sound right @Tony lovelock was it the same unit that had the white lines?

Did you have a SanDisk with the 412GW before buying one today?

I know you had the latest firmware as we’ve spoken previously. Do you have any photos/videos of the white lines (if you do please pm them over)?
Yes same unit that had the white lines on screen

Yes I had an existing 32gb san disk ultra micro sd card brought from 'my memory' respectively.

Didn't take any photos of the white lines as I was in a hurry the very next morning to return the unit back to Halford to get them too sort it out

Last edited:

Do you know if it'll work with same hardwiring kit and have a rear cam connection as well? Are there any plans to update the GPS mount so rear cam lead can also connect to it?

I've just been for a drive for the first time since getting this dashcam but it doesn't give particularly clear video?

The camera is left of centre of the rear view mirror.

Below are 2 video clips from yesterday during the day as I nipped into town, and then tonight as I nipped to the chippy... (road with orange streetlamps and road with them white LED ones too)

Daylight is very good, night certainly isn't.

Is the camera not performing correctly?

I have it at 1440p so I am wondering would it be better set to 1080 at 30fps or 60fps?

Day:

Night:

The UK Which? magazine have just performed a comparison test and whilst Nextbase hold the top 4 spots the 412 comes last of the 4 with exactly what you have just posted.

They have given the 212 312 and 512 5 stars for video but the 412 only got 4. I haven't used mine in anger yet, hopefully today.

What I have seen posted online is that 1080@60fps does seem smoother and clearer. Given that my PC monitor is 1080 I've set mine to 1080@60.

Its difficult to see on that file from Youtube, is it possible to use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box referencing this chat (or me).

Thank you, you'll get a notification when I have download it.

I'll get back to you as soon as I've taken a look.

I've taken a look at both the night time recordings you sent over - they are both more detailed than the YouTube upload but that is expected as YouTube compresses the files.

The first one (007) is noticeably clearer than the second one (008) this is because the lighting is on the whole throughout the file is brighter than the 008.

Here is one of the better screen shots from the 007 upload_2017-9-22_14-2-23.png , the second file (008) starts to improve at 1:32 where you reach the T-Junction and the lighting is noticeably brighter.

On the whole, I agree the YouTube version there is quite unclear and would be cause for concern but after seeing the originals they seem to be performing as expected.

I've taken a look at both the night time recordings you sent over - they are both more detailed than the YouTube upload but that is expected as YouTube compresses the files.

The first one (007) is noticeably clearer than the second one (008) this is because the lighting is on the whole throughout the file is brighter than the 008.

Here is one of the better screen shots from the 007 View attachment 33353 , the second file (008) starts to improve at 1:32 where you reach the T-Junction and the lighting is noticeably brighter.

On the whole, I agree the YouTube version there is quite unclear and would be cause for concern but after seeing the originals they seem to be performing as expected.

Coolio - thanks Tiffany. I appreciate your time looking at the files.

Would you know - does 1440p @30fps give brighter video in low light areas than 1080p @60fps - by which I mean does the sensor resolve the information brighter at a given resolution? Do you know if 1440 or 1080 would be better at night (not image quality per se, what I mean is, is one resolution more "visible")?

Does that make sense?

Paul.

Back