Hard wire after using power socket

Sloop

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have had my Street Guardian SG9665GC now for about five years in my Hyundai i30 and it has been brilliant. I have now bought a 2011 Toyota Kluger and I am about to fit the camera. Unlike the Hyundai the power socket is not in a convenient position so I have decided to hard wire to the fuse box. I take it that I can no longer use the cable that has the adapter for the cigarette lighter socket. Before I order a hardwire kit I would just like to ask the following question. I do not need the parking mode so is it just a case of wiring to a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on ? If any one has installed their camera on a Toyota Kluger did you install it under the mirror towards the centre of the windscreen under the rather large meshed looking area or to one side. Any help appreciated.

Cheers .

Hi, I have had my Street Guardian SG9665GC now for about five years in my Hyundai i30 and it has been brilliant. I have now bought a 2011 Toyota Kluger and I am about to fit the camera. Unlike the Hyundai the power socket is not in a convenient position so I have decided to hard wire to the fuse box. I take it that I can no longer use the cable that has the adapter for the cigarette lighter socket. Before I order a hardwire kit I would just like to ask the following question. I do not need the parking mode so is it just a case of wiring to a fuse that is only live when the ignition is on ? If any one has installed their camera on a Toyota Kluger did you install it under the mirror towards the centre of the windscreen under the rather large meshed looking area or to one side. Any help appreciated.

Cheers .

You could buy a 12V socket fuse tap, but it'd need a voltage cutoff. Otherwise it'd run until the car battery dies. Second option is invest in a battery pack, hardwire it to accessory, and then use the included 12V socket from the battery pack to power the dash camera.

Sorry guys, I appreciate your replies but I did a double post. Ended up posting in the Street Guardian threads as well. Ended up cutting off the power plug and hardwiring with a piggy back adapter to the fuse box Acc with a 5 amp fuse. All fitted now .

Cheers.

I’m confused, before you had an adapter that you plugged into a cigar lighter, so now you’ve cut that adapter off and wired it directly to the fuse box? Doesn’t that mean that you’re now feeding 12v to the dashcam and not the normal 5v?

I’m confused, before you had an adapter that you plugged into a cigar lighter, so now you’ve cut that adapter off and wired it directly to the fuse box? Doesn’t that mean that you’re now feeding 12v to the dashcam and not the normal 5v?
no, we don't put the convertor in the plug on our power leads

As jokiin pointed out and confirmed to me before I carried out the install, the convertor is now further up the lead in a small black box and has a green LED that shows when the power is on.

Back