Hard wire cable issues

tigergt64

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi have purchased garmin hard wire kit for Dash Cam 55, that also was just purchased. Have had it installed by an auto electrician. Camera will not come out of "parked vehicle mode". Even when starting the car, it stays in parked mode and all video is recording to parked videos. This also means none of the voice recognition is working for saving , travelapse etc. I have tested the camera using just the cig lighter adapter and all functions work when using this adapter except of course parking mode. I have checked wiring by auto elec and he appears to have done correctly. The red cable is connected to a fuse that powers the power socket for accessories in the vehicle, meaning it only comes on when ignition is on. I will take it back to him next week but hoping there is an easy solution as this is costing me more than i paid for camera and otherwise parking mode is useless and that why i wanted camera in first place

Hi there

Just for others info in case something like this happens to you.

Turns out the problem was the hard wire cable from Garmin - no issues with dashcam

In the hard wire cable set up there is a black in line box. The Auto Elec took the box apart and found that there was only a micro thin piece of wire connecting to the accessory switch - so when the ignition was started, there was insufficient connection to recognize the ignition was turned on - to take it out of parking mode. He re-soldered the connection and that corrected the problem. He suggested that given these things are assembled by robots these days, that sometimes quality control goes out the window. So i suggest if you have issues with your hard wired set up - check this box or have it checked by your auto electrician.
regards all.

Yeah the Garmin hardwire kit (Parking Mode) is a little different than a "normal" hardwire job, in that it needs two power leads.... Battery (always hot - for Parking Mode)) and Accessory (just while running - for normal video functions), along with the proper ground wire.... the "little black box" is for the Garmin system to regulate the Parking Mode electricity draw down - so it will shut down the camera if the battery drain exceeds a certain level..... this prevents having a dead battery. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos with my general type of vehicle so I could install it myself.... No issues DIY - but it took me a few hours AND I had to purchase a couple "Add-A-Fuse" kits for my install.
IMG_5327.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Dash Cam 55 6
P Dash Cam 55 11
Back