Hard wire kit issues - won’t turn on

M7R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hard wire kit doesn’t seem to work, but I have tried 2 now and both won’t power the unit.

The first official 3 wire kit wouldn’t power on the unit (Skoda Octavia 2013 using fuse taps that most others seem to use being 12V socket as perm live and then an unused switched live in the use box but I did also try the rear wiper too as that’s switched). The unit would not turn on, didn’t matter if the power lead was in the mount or the actual camera. Using the supplied USB lead it powers up fine. I then left the car over night with the 2 fuse taps in but no earth and the next day when I was able to carry on with the install the battery was completely flat! Not just 11v cut off flat I’m talking no interior lights, etc flat. 15 mins charging from another car to get nine going flat!

Sent that 3 wire back to Amazon and ordered another. Fitted that tonight and before I put all the trim back I tested it, worked fine. So routed it properly, put all the trim back. Sod all then happens! Dead as a dodo! Even with the engine running and the cut off set to 11x volts, nothing.

So it is now running off the USB lead and fag lighter adaptor again,

Any ideas? Am I just doing something wrong? I have tried unplugging the taps, putting them back in with ignition on, ignition off, perm first, or perm last... nothing seems to make it work. Could it be something as daft as I have WiFi on all the time? I have a GPS mount if that makes any odds and the rear camera too as I got a duo.

Thanks

Last edited:
I will have another go but on the second kit the earth was via one of the big studs which mounts the whole dash.

I will have another go but on the second kit the earth was via one of the big studs which mounts the whole dash.
Check it with a multimeter if you’re unsure. Ground problems are pretty common for this type of thing, and it’s probably not the wiring kit.

What is the amperage of the fuses that you're using?

My three wire kit from Viofo required all three wire to be hooked up. I was dismayed when it didn't power on with just the 12v battery and ground connected. Once I connected the accessory wire it powered right up. Maybe that's it?

My three wire kit from Viofo required all three wire to be hooked up. I was dismayed when it didn't power on with just the 12v battery and ground connected. Once I connected the accessory wire it powered right up. Maybe that's it?
That's why it comes with a manual. You're supposed to read it and not assume things.

12v + ground = parking mode if you've enabled it in settings. If not enabled, camera does nothing (it thinks you're parked AND don't want parking mode)

12v + ground + acc = normal dashcam mode.

Back