Hard wire or 12v socket?

Gazza1591

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just bought a G1w camera and don't really want to use current 12v socket, so looking to hard wire it into the car, plan was to buy an add a fuse thing off ebay and piggy back in the fuse box to an ignition live fuse like rear wiper motor?

Unsure if to order a dash cam hard wire kit from abroad as can't find UK seller or buy a new 12v socket and piggy back this and just use the provided cable that comes with the camera and hide it all out if site

Was looking at one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350864583010

Is hardwiring using on of these kits better than just wiring in a 2nd 12v socket?

Mine are hardwired with an add-a-fuse/piggy back, but I use a loose 12V sockets with the provided power cables secured with electric tape. The sockets hide under the dash and the cords are pushed behind finishes. This configuration insures the dash cam is powered as intended by the manufacturer and uses their 12V to usb converter.

Cheers both well I'm gonna go with the extra 12v socket as it may come in handy for charging other things some time, so would the 12v be OK going to say rear wiper which is only active when key is in the car?

Oh and what size fuse would I need to use for the new 12v supply in the add a fuse end that goes in to the fuse box?

The max load will be on the cigarette plug that goes into that

Aha so the power lead off the dash cam u mean? Hope it states it on there?

Speaking in general terms only, a 3A-5A fuse will be sufficient, but too many unwanted experiences have shown me that any fuse ~7.5A or less will likely do it's job before a fire starts, although smaller wire insulation may overheat and be damaged at that level. I'd feel safe at that level but I'd get that smaller fuse installed ASAP.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O G1WX 2
Firefighter3244 G1WX 6
A G1WX 2
jeremy156 G1WX 13
D G1WX 1
Back