Hard wire with voltage reading grace period?

Camcamcam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all.
Did a bunch of digging but can’t find what I’m looking for, thought I’d ask here.

I just installed the Viofo 3 wire kit to finally have parking mode. Since I’m in hot Florida, I want the cutoff to be 12.4 V or the battery will drain too much for my liking.

After lots of troubleshooting due to the camera shutting off very quickly, I discovered that roughly 2 minutes after shutting my car off it draws some power for a few seconds to disengage some component in the engine bay. This is normal.

However, when it does this, the voltage in my battery very shortly dips below 12.4 volts, and thus cuts off my camera, even though it has the capacity to run for hours afterwards.

I prefer to avoid spending the $250 on a LiFePO4 battery, or buy a new 12V battery (current one is fairly new).

I’m wondering if there are voltage monitors/cutoffs that have some sort of grace period where the first few minutes of voltage readings are disregarded so that it’s not triggered by these short voltage dips. I can imagine many cars having similar mechanisms.

Thanks for any pointers!

I just installed the Viofo 3 wire kit to finally have parking mode. Since I’m in hot Florida, I want the cutoff to be 12.4 V or the battery will drain too much for my liking.

After lots of troubleshooting due to the camera shutting off very quickly, I discovered that roughly 2 minutes after shutting my car off it draws some power for a few seconds to disengage some component in the engine bay. This is normal.

However, when it does this, the voltage in my battery very shortly dips below 12.4 volts, and thus cuts off my camera, even though it has the capacity to run for hours afterwards.

I prefer to avoid spending the $250 on a LiFePO4 battery, or buy a new 12V battery (current one is fairly new).

Hi @Camcamcam

Could you provide us with details about your car (make, model, model year, engine, battery capacity)?

First of all I will try to change ACC+ circuit into circuit which remain powered for few minutes after shutting engine off...

I’m wondering if there are voltage monitors/cutoffs that have some sort of grace period where the first few minutes of voltage readings are disregarded so that it’s not triggered by these short voltage dips. I can imagine many cars having similar mechanisms.
Did you mean that you need a small power-off delay when the voltage drops to the cutoff level, for example, in 3-5 minutes?
Probably you need to ask a question in the Viofo branch (for example, here A129 3-wire kit https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-3-wire-kit.35898/), there is a representative - @viofo
What dashcam are you using now?

Hi @Camcamcam

Could you provide us with details about your car (make, model, model year, engine, battery capacity)?

First of all I will try to change ACC+ circuit into circuit which remain powered for few minutes after shutting engine off...

Thanks for your reply.
It pertains a 2010 Prius. Not sure what the battery capacity is, but it was replaced by Toyota themselves so I doubt it’s different from the stock specs.

Switching the ACC to something that remains on for a bit after shutting off the engine is a very smart idea! Now I just have to identify which fuse does this.

Did you mean that you need a small power-off delay when the voltage drops to the cutoff level, for example, in 3-5 minutes?
Probably you need to ask a question in the Viofo branch (for example, here A129 3-wire kit https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-3-wire-kit.35898/), there is a representative - @viofo
What dashcam are you using now?

Not so much a power off delay, but more a short period of time after switching from ACC to BATT where it ignores the voltage reading it’s receiving. This way the car can draw the power it needs to do whatever it does after turning the engine off without the voltage cutoff being triggered.

Thanks for thinking along.

Some HWK's (like those from Street Guardian) do have time-based circuitry to allow for short periods of under-voltage without it causing the HWK to turn off. I do not know how Viofo's HWK functions in that regard. Nor do I know if anything other than a Viofo HWK will function correctly with their cams, as they seem to like a more robust PS than most cams need, and many Viofo cam issues have been traced back to using other PS's.

Phil

Some HWK's (like those from Street Guardian) do have time-based circuitry to allow for short periods of under-voltage without it causing the HWK to turn off. I do not know how Viofo's HWK functions in that regard. Nor do I know if anything other than a Viofo HWK will function correctly with their cams, as they seem to like a more robust PS than most cams need, and many Viofo cam issues have been traced back to using other PS's.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

Do you happen to know which specific Street Guardian kits operate this way? I’d be willing to give it a shot.

Any idea what the feature that allows for short periods of under voltage is called?

Also, I just realize I failed to mention I’m working with an A129 Duo.

Do you happen to know which specific Street Guardian kits operate this way? I’d be willing to give it a shot.
Any idea what the feature that allows for short periods of under voltage is called?

I had similar issue with BlackVue Power Magic Pro in Honda CR-V (installation described in thread Honda CR-V hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual). Power Magic switched off parking mode after short voltage drops, caused mainly by automatic trunk opening system.
I decided to replace BlackVue Power Magic Pro with Viofo Hardwire Kit and the problem was solved.
Viofo Hardwire Kit wait longer than Power Magic before switching parking mode off.

I'm afraid that Street Guardian hardwire kit works similar to the Viofo Hardwire Kit.

Did you check your car for the circuits powered few minutes after switching off?

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure which one(s) do this, only that @jokiin mentioned theirs had a100 second voltage time reading parameter so that temporary small under-voltage would not cause a shutdown if it rose back above the selected cut-off level before then. He might also know if they're compatible with Viofo cams. Personally I think that's a darn good idea for all dashcam HWK's.

Phil

Back