Hard-wired dash cam for parking last longer in hybrid cars?

mike0

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the hard-wired dash cam situation for parking mode, do hybrid cars last longer because the addition of the traction (hybrid) battery, or shorter because the smaller conventional accessory battery?

I am concerned if I hard wire a dash cam for parking mode. The accessory battery is smaller in my hybrid but I see a big traction battery though. Not sure how the traction battery plays into this.

Thanks,

I had a few customers say they didn't bother with a battery discharge prevention system because they had a hybrid. I'm not sure if they knew for sure or if all hybrids are the same either. I'd like to know as well.

Would depend on the hybrid. The only ones that I have experience with are the Ford ones. In those it doesn't matter how low the accessory battery gets, it won't automatically use the traction battery to recharge it. The accessory battery will just discharge to the point where computers start shutting down.

Thanks Pier28 & jdbob for your inputs.
I watched DVD once in my hybrid (Lexus) while parked in accessory mode. And I remember the battery (traction? ) level indicator on the dash went down during DVD playing, but I am not sure the traction battery will backup the accessory battery during power off for the parking mode of dash cam.
Guess I can just install a dash cam and monitor the parking mode to find out. But I really hate to risk seeing the battery drained quickly because of its smaller size (worst case). It can't be good for the accessory battery's life.

Update:

Had a 3-day camping trip, came back and our hybrid (garaged) could not start. Had to jump start it (Accessory battery was drained but traction battery still showed over half of capacity left). Changed the dashcam park mode (battery cutoff from 12.1v to 12.4v; duration from infinite to 6 hrs).

Drove around for a few weeks. Took the car back to dealer to check the accessory battery condition (No problem found). Chatted with dealership and was told that the traction battery does not help with the accessory battery while the car is off, as jdbob indicated in his post.

Conclusion: Compared to conventional cars, hybrids’ battery will deplete sooner with dashcam parking mode (At least for Toyota/Lexus, your mileage may vary).

Back