Hard Wired Dashcam shuts down when I turn the ignition on.

Grianan

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have hardwired front and rear dashcams to an always on fuse . I can leave them recording while I'm away from the car for short periods. When i return both are recording but when I turn the ignition on the front camera shuts down and i have to manually turn it on again. The low voltage on the Gebildet hardwire kit is 11.6v, is it sensing the drop in voltage when I turn the ignition on and turning off the camera? The rear camera is a different hardwire kit and doesn't shut down ...

The hardwire kit should have a time delay after detecting less than 11.6 volts to give you time to start the engine and get a decent voltage again. If it shuts down immediately on low voltage then I suggest you get a better hardwire kit.

If you say which camera it is then someone may recommend a good hardwire kit...

Its a Mi Vue 358 and its 6 years old .It has 120⁰ field of view which makes reading number plates a lot easier than the 150⁰ one i have on the rear. Maybe the hardwire kit is faulty? I was thinking about removing the voltage protection from the kit but I assume the 12volt to 5 volt device is incorporated in the black box so that wouldn't be possible.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-220236_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-220236_Amazon.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20200710-220156_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-220156_Amazon.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 5
Not familiar with that camera, but if it has been working OK for the last 6 years and nothing has been changed, then the problem is most likely a result of the camera battery having died. You could replace the battery, there are some videos showing how on Youtube.

Yes the battery is definitely dead ,i previously used a cigarette lighter socket adapter which was switched and if i switched it off before switching the camera off i would lose the 1 ,2,or up to 3 mins of recording, so i had to switch the camera off first and it would save the recorded video. I might try the rear camera on the front hardwire kit and see if it works and if it does you are right it will be the dead battery that is the problem. Thanks for that i wouldn't have thought the battery would have had any effect.

i wouldn't have thought the battery would have had any effect.
On a lot of battery cameras, the battery keeps it running for 6 - 10 seconds before shutting down, so it will not notice a loss of power while you start the engine. This doesn't work once the battery is very dead and doesn't have the power for 6 seconds.

Yes thats why the rear camera is working ok with the hardwire system the battery keeps it on for about a minute after car power is shutdown. When the Front camera was new the battery lasted for about an hour, it was one of the features, in a minor accident you could remove the camera from the car and film the damage to the car from the outside the manufacturer said , Not anymore! I'll try the rear camera in front tomorrow. Thanks again......

Its a Mi Vue 508,I tried it in the front today and it doesn't shut down so it must be the dead battery that is causing the other camera to shut down. Before i tried the rear camera in the front I hooked up a capacitor camera which I had and don't use ,it shut down when i turned the ignition but it started up immediately creating a new file.............

Back