Hard wiring a cam. Another sugestion

Screen name taken

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
70mai Dash Cam Pro
I read about some suggestions And I wanted something a bit more secure and less liable to fall apart. I took apart the supplied cigarette lighter plug. This was easily done using a watchmaker screwdriver set.
Once opened I un-soldered the negative and positive wires from the circuit board. In their place I soldered longer wires.
I threaded the cable between the mini USB and the plug under the headlining where it meets the windscreen. Usually on today’s cars there is a small gap in which it is easy to place any cable. I hide the extra cable length in the area for the passenger compartment lights. This did mean I had to dismantle the light unit.
The cable runs from the headlining down the A pillar (the one in front of the door) and down to the dash. If you have air-bags in the A pillar I do not know how you overcome this as these should not be disturbed.
The photos I have chosen are ones where you can see how it fits under the dash.
The side panel of the dash was removed and the plug was fixed into position in a manor that if need it could be removed. As I had removed the glass fuse supplied, I purchase an in line fuse for the princely sum of just under 2€ from my local car parts shop. I also fixed this so it can be removed or accessed at a later date. I then trimmed up the new wires and fitted a circular connector to the earth and a female spade to the positive. The circular went behind a bolt to a metal part of the dash and the female spade to the new fuse . Another female spade on one end of a cable and a male spade into the cars fuse box where I could get an non-fused connection which is only powered when the ignition is on.
****Please also check the fuse supplied, as I found my glass fuse was rated 2 amps on 240 volts.***

A top tip from this is do not do this work on a windy day as the door could close on your plug and crack it! Now I have to purchase a new one

Attachments

• DSC00239.JPG
    DSC00239.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00237.JPG
    DSC00237.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00235.JPG
    DSC00235.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 153
Back