Hard Wiring Story

Goomeister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This little story is more for information than anything else. Bought a 322GW last week at my local Halfords so asked them to fit as well. All went well and the tech did a neat job after just over 1hr. I chose the 322GW after reading about it and other people’s recommendations. Also wanted one with a rear window cam and Parking Mode protection. Asked the tech which circuit he piggy backed it on and he said they always use the cigarette lighter. Happy days. Followed the instructions for charging the unit initially and popped it back in but wondered why it was near flat the next morning. Started researching a bit more and eventually got through to Nextbase Technical Support who asked me about the set up I had and he advised that when relying on the units own battery it would last around 1min if I had both front and rear cameras and around 15mins for a front only camera. I said how is Parking Mode going to work then ? He then asked what circuit my unit was wired into and I said an ignition controlled circuit to which he said it needs to be in a permanently live circuit to gain the full benefit of Parking Mode. What prevents flattening of my battery I asked ? and was advised there is voltage protection within the hardwire kit to cut off the dashcam should the car battery voltage drop below 11.2V. I advised that Halfords had wired it in but they never asked me how exactly I would be using it and what functionality I would be requiring. He then proceeded to alert me to the fact that wiring of this unit into an ignition controlled circuit as opposed to a permanent live circuit was something they had seen in the past from a Halfords installation and that they had just not had the correct training or direction from Nextbase. Needless to say, Halfords have now been made aware and Nextbase are also actioning this shortcoming with Halfords. So to anybody who plans a new dashcam installation by Halfords and you want the full Parking Mode functionality please be aware and talk to them first so they know to do the correct installation. Eventually all of Halfords fitting techs will know about this but until they do then it’s worth taking note. How many 322GWs are there out there I wonder fitted like mine was originally with no real Parking Mode functionality ? I don’t assign any blame on Halfords here, if anything it is Nextbase who have fallen short on passing on the full technical requirements to their authorised installers. Mine works great now by the way

Hi,

Similar story here.
Bought 322 few days ago. I was trying to connect through cigarette socket but no luck (no blue led o charger).
I have checked in my friend's car - it worked well.
So, next step, today I bought Nextbase hardwire kit.
Found fuse box in my Toyota Avensis. Removed power electric window 20 fuse.
Vehicle's ignition on, windows works but camera is dead.
No led indication on regulator.
Is my car battery in critical condition?
Cigarette socket does not work aswell.

Any ideas?
Thanks, JOhnny.

Hi,

Similar story here.
Bought 322 few days ago. I was trying to connect through cigarette socket but no luck (no blue led o charger).
I have checked in my friend's car - it worked well.
So, next step, today I bought Nextbase hardwire kit.
Found fuse box in my Toyota Avensis. Removed power electric window 20 fuse.
Vehicle's ignition on, windows works but camera is dead.
No led indication on regulator.
Is my car battery in critical condition?
Cigarette socket does not work aswell.

Any ideas?
Thanks, JOhnny.
Mine worked fine on a permanent live circuit and I have had no flat car battery issues. Just check again that circuit is permanent live ? I ask myself why would it need to be ? Suggest you get a multimeter out and find another circuit. You’re nearly there..

Hi Goomeister,

I had flat car batter 2 days ago bcoz I was playing with ignition switch on and off trying to charge that stupid camera :)
Car did not start, I had to call my friend with jump leads.
Probably my car battery is low.
The circuit is in 'switched' not permanent. I don't need parking mode.
I will buy multimeter and will check battery V.

If you don’t need parking mode then agreed you can use any ignition controlled circuit. You should bear in mind the camera has a small capacity battery and so will not maintain the camera for long - see my original post. I can recommend contacting Nextbase tech support for guidance on anything related to these cameras. It takes a long time to get through to them but when you do it’s well worth it.

I know I know, camera battery is a joke.
5min recording fully charged!

A few things to watch out for:

1) Some cars have very deep power sockets so some plugs don't reach the bottom.

2) Even though you think the fuse you're using is ignition power, some aren't and have a relay further along, a multimeter is a must. Most modern fuses have metal tips on the outside so you can test them in position.

3) Some makes, like Honda, have dedicated 'option connectors' and it's worth checking out as these are designed for additional accessories. Saves piggybacking and possibly causing CANBUS or ECU problems where it could detect a higher draw than expected and shut that circuit down.

Hi,

So, I bought a multimeter yesterday.
First thing I checked this morning was car battery: 12V and 14.2V (engine on). Looks perfect.
Then I checked fuse box (under my steering wheel and my engine area) for switched and permanent circuit.
Pulled out and tested every single one (total of 10 fuses). None worked.
There is another fuse box on the passenger side but access to that box is tough.
I'm running out of ideas now...
Any thoughts?

What exactly do you mean by "Non worked"?
Did you have to "Pull out" the fuses? They often have little metal 'tags' that enable testing without removal.
Having said that, are you checking both of the contacts into which the fuse fits?

Good question.

To test the fuses you don't pull them out, as I said further up.

You fasten the multimeter negative probe to a bit of car bodywork. Then you touch the positive multimeter probe to one of the metal fuse tips you can see, without removing them.
Through trial and error you will be able to identify which fuses have permanent power, which become live on a single turn of the ignition key and which become live on a second turn of the key, before the third turn that starts the engine.

I've wired my Viofo to the second turn position.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 322GW 1
M 322GW 4
Back