hardware wise, strongest dashcam?

exxon93

Reaction score
Country
United States
vico-tf2+ uses Ambarella A5 + Ar0330 sensor. Supposedly Ar0331
and sony exmor are more capable sensors than Ar0330, but tf2+ already has such a good video quality. blackvue and finevu all use sony exmor sensors but it is hard to say their video is better than vico-tf2+. This makes me wonder: does better hardware mean better video?

Is there a Ambarella A5 + Ar0331 dashcam?

Not sure about AR0331 inside TF2+, but I do respect myself AR0331 more than AR0330 because it's for sure a higher class and can provide a true / real WDR within 100-120db range ( vs. 72db on AR0330 where WDR is not real, - it's enchanced there ).
There have been only very few attempts to use AR0331 on dashcams that can be recommended as reliable and top-choice.
According to many Russian real enthusiasts dashcam users, - Flexmedia V747W ( A2S70 + AR0331 ) is still their choice beating most other dashcameras from point of view of video performance day / night.

Flexmedia V747W Review from auto-dvrs.ru

Not sure about AR0331 inside TF2+, but I do respect myself AR0331 more than AR0330 because it's for sure a higher class and can provide a true / real WDR within 100-120db range ( vs. 72db on AR0330 where WDR is not real, - it's enchanced there ).
There have been only very few attempts to use AR0331 on dashcams that can be recommended as reliable and top-choice.
According to many Russian real enthusiasts dashcam users, - Flexmedia V747W ( A2S70 + AR0331 ) is still their choice beating most other dashcameras from point of view of video performance day / night.

Flexmedia V747W Review from auto-dvrs.ru
I've read heated debate between it and the vico-tf2+. However its processor A2 is a lower class than the A5 used than vico-tf2+.. I am very curious why there is no A5 + AR0331 yet...

I've read heated debate between it and the vico-tf2+. However its processor A2 is a lower class than the A5 used than vico-tf2+.. I am very curious why there is no A5 + AR0331 yet...

I think manufacturers realised that A5 is not that reliable to invest into if knowing that future ( 2014 ) is behind A7 based tachnology if talking about Ambarella CPU-s. - those are just my assumptions based on watching the overall dashcamera market trend ( chinese, taiwan ) which uses Ambarella CPU-s. Most A5 series are with AR0330. Don't remember seeing any with AR0331.

At the moment only @jokiin GT7S I could name as the strongest known ( hardware wise ) dashcam based on A7LA75 + tons of other top quality hardware components used there, ... if only instead of AR0330 would be used AR0331 or similar real WDR-capable CMOS. Other than that, GT7S is the most advanced I know at this stage.

CMOS is something we can change if need be, we left ourselves room inside the housing for other lens and sensor combinations, something we'll need to determine when the time comes if there are better options available

CMOS is something we can change if need be, we left ourselves room inside the housing for other lens and sensor combinations, something we'll need to determine when the time comes if there are better options available

Good choice / tactics. Totally support your idea of leaving space for other solutions when right time is there for production and for sure till that time there will be some good / new options out there ( CMOS, Lens ) for you to go with to compliment your other high-end hardware you have already chosen.

Back