Hardwire a Cigarette Lighter Adapter + VIDEO

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DVR-207GS + GT300W
Hello dashcamtalkers,

I've made you a video to show how easy it is to undo the hardwiring done to a cigarette lighter adapter for a dash cam (namely the DVR-207GS). This video will also give you a good idea of how to build this hardwiring instead of disassembling it. Just make sure you disconnect your car battery before connecting your wires to the car from the adapter.

This is basically the first video I've ever created, so please mind my poor narration skill (I was in a hurry to make this video, and I was without a script).

This video doesn't cover how to connect your positive and negative wires to your car, but I'm sure a lot of other youtuber's have already uploaded tutorials for that. If I ever find time in my busy college schedule, I will make a complete video of how to hardwire your dashcam to the fusebox or other power sources in the car (for example, a stereo amp).

I have also written instructions for using the cigarette lighter for hardwiring most of your dash cams (click on the spoiler):

[spoil]1. Unscrew the tip of the adapter.
2. Take out the metal button piece that sticks out, store it in your retail box.
3. You will see a cylinder shaped fuse inside. take your positive wire, strip the end, put it against the metal of the fuse that's nearest to the tip (the positive side of the fuse), screw on the plastic tip of the adapter to hold the positive wire in place. This holds the positive wire against the fuse very well! Use some electrical tape to cover up your work to prevent a short, thought it is unlikely because the connection is recessed inside of the adapter.
4. Strip and wrap your negative wire around the metal pieces on the side of the adapter. Use electrical tape to cover up your work and keep the wire in place.
5. Disconnect your car battery and connect your positive wire to a power source the provides about 12 volts (some adapters are rated anywhere between 12 to 24 volts) and connect your negative wire to a ground. Then reconnect the car battery.
6. Use a multimeter to make sure the cigarette lighter adapter outputs voltage in the neighborhood of 5-6 volts (check your manual to make sure your dashcam is rated for 5 volts; to check the voltage output, insert your positive lead into the hole of the DC connector and press the negative on the outside metal of the DC connector).[/spoil]

Here is the video on youtube:
*Editted video link. Google-youtube integration pretty much ruined my youtube account and I had to create a new youtube account. Dang Google!!!

Last edited:
niko said:
Great and easy job.
For those who dont like DIY and can wait 3-4 weeks, then can order 3.66usd female cigarette plug socket.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/V1NF-Car ... 39592.html

Nice!

I ended up getting mine on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003EET3XY$5.96 (free two day shipping if you have Prime)

61NQ4OvDkvL._SL1272_.jpg

JazJon said:
niko said:
Great and easy job.
For those who dont like DIY and can wait 3-4 weeks, then can order 3.66usd female cigarette plug socket.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/V1NF-Car ... 39592.html

Nice!

I ended up getting mine on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EE ... UTF8&psc=1
$5.96 (free two day shipping if you have Prime)

61NQ4OvDkvL._SL1272_.jpg

This is also a good deal, but only fo US.
Each country local retail shops should sell them as well maybe for slightly higher price, but at least can get instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
trancen said:

That converter 12v to usb 5v is best solution to hardwire to reading light 12v source. Dash camera can be powered on via short usb cable, no need to run standard cigarette lighter power cable.

Actually thats what I am doing. Have placed my order.

I'm also thinking on working on a circuit that will auto-turn-off after xx amount of mins, or if it senses any vibrations will auto-turn-on.

Much like how a Parking Mode would work.

niko said:
trancen said:

That converter 12v to usb 5v is best solution to hardwire to reading light 12v source. Dash camera can be powered on via short usb cable, no need to run standard cigarette lighter power cable.

Has it been confirmed that the DVR-XX7 camera can be powered by its USB port?

trancen said:
Better yet, to avoid having to use your own USB cable. Get the following and use the mini usb connection it comes with:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360731491175

Yes, with this converter it is a solution with mini-usb, but not for all dash cameras. Some dash cams mini-usb pins does not match power-on pins on mini-usb connector. I used few of same converters with standard USB female end + usb cable from dash camera set.

For some cars I was hardwiring dash cams i used same convertor but with standard usb connector, from there you can use specific to each dash cam mini or micro usb depending on dash cam type. This is more universal solution for future in case want to change to other dash camera with different power lead connector.

What I am planning on doing. Is adding something like this.

$T2eC16J,!)UE9s3wBn0VBR7tK36Zz!~~60_3.JPG

Fish the one positive wire upto my overhead light(which I can find a ground source at) then install the
$(KGrHqN,!o0FIKpvPrr-BSHvT3b)Eg~~60_57.JPG
which i can then add my Dashcam connection too.

That what i am using to hardwire to reading lamp refer in my last post, just with 1 usb connector. Adding fuse to the loom is also essential, but the one you have on first picture is for fuse box. I am using standard fuse tap in connector.

The reason why I'm going with that setup. If you get your power from the overhead light or the cig socket, the camera is always on. Using that fuse setup I can tap into a circuit that is only active while the car is running.

dropshadow said:
Has it been confirmed that the DVR-XX7 camera can be powered by its USB port?

Good question, as I believe it cannot.

thomasgatt said:
Hi guys,

I bought this Mini 0801 cam and would like to wire it to my car. Which converter do you recommend please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161103549489
Thanks
-----------
Thomas

Hi Thomas.
Do you want to wire it to the reading light or to the main fuse box?

Back