Hardwire Cables Question

ChampaRando

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone.

So I have hardwired and all but recently, when trying to plan out how I will install an external dashcam battery in our car, me and my dad don't agree on something :p. I ordered an external dashcam battery (as some might now if they replied to my other threads XD), and I want to basically achieve that when the car is on (so ACC=ON), alternator/car battery feeds dashcam power and when its off, the portable battery will (this portable battery has a 12V output as well so I will use that).\\

The thing was, my dad said this is really easy to implement, all we have to do is plug the ACC wire into the normal ACC slot in the car fusebox. And the red always on current wire INTO the portable battery and then the ground, well obviously to something metal. He said that when ACC is giving power, it will automatically take power from ACC rather than the red/portable battery wire.

But I disagree and say it will always use power from the portable battery, this was, because I think (and someone told me before) that the ACC wire in the dashcam is SOLELY only for really signalling the dashcam when to enter/exit parking mode. I don't think it actually powers anything.

Who's correct (or are we both slightly wrong)?

Cheers.

Last edited:
The acc is just a trigger and the camera will be powered by the 12V feed from the battery all of the time.

Back