Hardwire dashcam Mazda CX5?

MazdaCx5owner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

So I just bought the Viofo a119 v2 and set it up in my car. However, what I failed to research properly beforehand is that my 12v outlet is always powered, even when the car is off. This makes me concerned that the dashcam will be recording all the time and will kill my battery.

So I am looking for solutions for this. I am not really interested in recording when the car is powered off, so I don't need this option. I am looking for the simplest way to resolve this issue so that the camera will power on/off with the car. Thank you

Use a hard wire kit and connect directly into a switched fuse within the fuse box.

That said, is your outlet really live 24x7 or does it just take a few minutes (or maybe an hour) after turning off the ignition before it shuts off?

I can't recommend, as I don't have your problem. However, I did buy an OBD2 based power supply which can be switched easily from constant power to ignition switched power with a simple rocker switch. The power stays live for 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off, or stays live constantly at my choice.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B06XS33J2N

I'm really conflicted on whether I should just hard wire the camera or get one of these adapters for the 12v port. If the 12v port has constant power, even when the car is off 24/7, will these adapters turn off with the car as well?

I'm really conflicted on whether I should just hard wire the camera or get one of these adapters for the 12v port. If the 12v port has constant power, even when the car is off 24/7, will these adapters turn off with the car as well?
The Rhundo will. It has adjustable timers and voltage cutoffs.

Are you sure your CX5 has constant 12v power? My wife's 64 plate CX5 doesn't, although it does stay on for a while after turning off the ignition. Newer models may be different.

In our experience, the newer Mazda's will have LIVE cigarette sockets.
However, this has been only for the higher end trims of the Mazda lineup.

If you're okay with simply plugging and unplugging the camera every time you get in, that would be a simple solution.
Most customers just use a Mini USB hardwire kit as well.

Back