Hardwire issues, camera shuts off when starting car

Rich T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help with an irritating issue were having with a hard wire dash cam?

I have a 12v to 5v hard wire kit which is connected via a piggy back fuse to the cigarette lighter fuse in the fuse box.

I've found that this fuse is powered until the drivers door is opened. I can even remove the keys from the ignition and there is still power to this fuse. This is fine and I'm happy with how this works.

The problem I have is when I turn the ignition on (car not started) the camera correctly starts recording. When the dash lights go out I then start the car, but there is a momentary loss of power at this point and the dash cam turns off. This means I have to manually turn the camera back on for every journey.

Is there any solution to this to make the camera wait a few seconds before deciding to turn off? I have a super capacitor fitted in the Mobius if it makes any difference.

Any help greatly appreciated

Rich

You could add a three wire timer relay to hold the power while it cranks, you can diy one with a few dollars worth of parts

Any links to guide me through such a setup?

Thanks looks interesting, will look into it

Hi can anyone help with an irritating issue were having with a hard wire dash cam?

I have a 12v to 5v hard wire kit which is connected via a piggy back fuse to the cigarette lighter fuse in the fuse box.

I've found that this fuse is powered until the drivers door is opened. I can even remove the keys from the ignition and there is still power to this fuse. This is fine and I'm happy with how this works.

The problem I have is when I turn the ignition on (car not started) the camera correctly starts recording. When the dash lights go out I then start the car, but there is a momentary loss of power at this point and the dash cam turns off. This means I have to manually turn the camera back on for every journey.

Is there any solution to this to make the camera wait a few seconds before deciding to turn off? I have a super capacitor fitted in the Mobius if it makes any difference.

Any help greatly appreciated

Rich

Try downgrading to FW 2.33

Try plugging the fuse tap into a different switched live fuse socket.

Some electrical items on modern cars are on switched lives with a starter inhibitor, this cuts the power to that circuit when the starter is engaged, so it'll power anything on it down for a moment.

My car has some of these on it's interior fuse board, luckily my handbook identifies which fuses are which, constant, switched or switched with inhibitor.

Back