Hardwire kit cutoff voltage

Ah, I see. Missed that, sorry.

It's wired to IGN Pos 2 via the cars fusebox accessory pins, not fuse piggybacked, so only fires up when the engine is started. I have no idea about any voltage cutoff as I don't use parking mode.
Thanks for the info.

But it's the parking mode is what the OP is concerned about K. I don't have a problem with my dashcam flattening my battery either as I also don't use parking mode.

But hang on a mo, we are all banging on about cutoff voltage to protect the car's battery, but don't the NB cameras run on the battery fitted to the camera, not the car's battery for parking mode?
The dashcam battery itself doesn't hold for long time. Even if Nextbase states that it could stay in standby for a week, just the next morning it's flat dead.
As I often park in areas where other people use their bumpers to squeeze in or out of their spot, I had some damages in the past, but no dashcam footage. Hence I want to prolong that time if my car is parked somewhere and hook it up to the car battery.
I'll report back when I've tested the BlackVue Power Magic Pro.

As stated, the PowerMagicPro is for Blackvue only as they push out 12v, not 5v like USB powered dashcams. If you want an overnight power source then consider a powerbank.

There has been talk of using a powerbank before but I've not seen any posts of anyone actually using one and whether it worked.

As stated, the PowerMagicPro is for Blackvue only as they push out 12v, not 5v like USB powered dashcams. If you want an overnight power source then consider a powerbank.

There has been talk of using a powerbank before but I've not seen any posts of anyone actually using one and whether it worked.
Yes, but when I connect the BlackVue PMP to the Nextbase hardwire kit base or even the regular Nextbase cigarette plug it will be transformed to the input the cam needs.
If you use the hardwire kit or cigarette plug normally, so without the BlackVue PMP, it gets 12V too from the fuse or cigarette lighter and transforms it too to 5V, doesn't it?
I just need the PMP to cut the power when the car battery drops too low.
I've looked into powerbanks too, but heard stories about them swelling or even exploding due to how hot it can get in your car when parked in the sun, so I didn't investigate further that road.

If you connect the PMP red wire to an ignition switched 12V live, the yellow wire to a permanent 12V live and the black wire to earth, the PMP will output 12V on its output (Given the correct conditions) This 12V output can then be connected as the Nextnase's HWK (NBHWK) input which will reduce the voltage from 12V to the 5V required by the cam. (I think that's what Oniwhatsit wants to do, and I see no reason why that won't work OK.)
The PMP will then switch off the 12V supply to the NBHWK and thus switch off the camera when the car battery voltage drops below the 12.5V or 12V as set on the PMP.

The whole shooting match will take negligible current from either the PMP red or yellow wire unless a camera is connected to the NBHWK.
With regards to power banks and the like. You will hear all kinds of horror stories about them, but they are, in reality, extremely unlikely. (The "you only ever hear bad news" syndrome applies here. Remember the stories of mobile phones blowing up/catching fire etc, but I bet that doesn't stop you from having one unless you are incredibly risk averse.)

Glad I read this thread, I was using a cheap eBay hardwire kit but it was causing issues with the 522GW I had, in a morning the dash cam would not fire up until a few minutes had passed. So I changed to the official HW kit, I was going for a permanent 12v but instead went for switched

Again and again, Nextbase passes the buck - But I am not going to let them off with it.
I'm off to cotact Trading Standards tomorrow.

Here is the first email to Nextbase support concerning this problem.

Nextbase 552 g

I have the dual camera set up.
This ws fitted by Halfords.
The cameras were wired directly into the fusebox.
My problem is the setup has flattened my car battery twice.
My car is a Land Rover - with a big engine it needs plenty of voltage from the battery to start it.
I understand that the cameras will cut off if the voltage supplied by the battery falls below 11.4 Volts.
My car needs 13 volts minimum to start.
Could you issue a firmware update to ensure that such occurences does not happen.

I would be very much obliged if you could arrange this

Please let me know what you can do for me.

Regards
Charles Yates

Here is their reponse

Hello Charles,

Thank you for contacting Nextbase Technical Support.

We try and make our hardwire kits as universal as possible. Unfortunately, it would seem unlikely that your vehicle is compatible with a dual cam & Parking Mode set up running off a Permanent Live. The only thing we can suggest is running it off a Switch Live, with Parking Mode switched off.

It may be worth speaking to Jaguar Land Rover to see if they have any suggestions.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Laura
Technical Support Engineer

Here is my response

Sorry to go one about this but:
My car is not on the incompatible vehicle list on your website
I paid good money to have Halfords install the device.
Now I have to pay more money to an LD/Jaguar Garage to come up with a solution.

This is my second camera - The previous model had no problems and I still have it.
I am of the option that NextBase and Halfords should come up with a solution, jointly and foot the bill for the work.
I think I'll take my case to the Trading Standards dept of South Lanarkshire Council and see what their option is.

Thank You

Charles Yates

your battery will be at around 12.6v max at keyoff, wouldn't tell them you need 13v for it to start as that's not logical, that aside though 11.4v cutoff is too low for it to start (too low for most cars) and if your battery gets down to that sort of voltage too often will kill any SLA battery, it is way too low a cutoff point, it's not something that can be altered by a firmware update either, it's a hardware problem

My car needs 13 volts minimum to start.
Then it will NEVER start on a fully charged 12V battery at 12.9V then will it. Or is it a 24V system?
I think I'll take my case to the Trading Standards dept of South Lanarkshire Council and see what their option is.
Good luck with that then. Please let us know what they say.

The dashcam battery itself doesn't hold for long time. Even if Nextbase states that it could stay in standby for a week, just the next morning it's flat dead.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but that's still the case with the 322GW. Parking mode is useless unless on a permanent live connection. And permanent live connection can possibly run down the battery

Back