Hardwire kit, Gen 1 to Gen 2

Rosstopher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just upgraded from a 412gw to a 522gw, but found tonight that the hardwire kit from the gen 1 doesn't fit in the 522gw. As our current car is going in a couple of months when the new one is delivered, I don't want to go through the hassle of installing the gen 2 kit in my car. Is there a micro USB adapter/extension cable with a thinner end, which will fit into the 522gw as a temporary measure?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, didn’t your 522gw come with this cable? Are you going to use the suction mount and cigarette lighter power adapter, until you get new car?

Hi, didn’t your 522gw come with this cable? Are you going to use the suction mount and cigarette lighter power adapter, until you get new car?

Hi,

Yeah it came with a cigarette lighter charger, but we use the cigarette lighter for the sat nav (plus the hardwire is useful for the parking cam). Was hoping there may be an adapter, or a extension cable with a smaller micro USB end.

Understood

Hopefully you can find cable at electronics store

I use phone for GPS, sat/nav maps on car are out of date

It does fit, you just have to give it a push.
I use a 522 with the 512 hardwire kit, and the only difference is that the end isn't at a right angle, but to be honest, it's just fine, with the suction mount on the screen, tucked behind the rear view mirror, you would never know.
It's never skipped a beat.
Nextbase say they don't recommend it, but I think it's a better unit than the new one.

It does fit, you just have to give it a push.
I use a 522 with the 512 hardwire kit, and the only difference is that the end isn't at a right angle, but to be honest, it's just fine, with the suction mount on the screen, tucked behind the rear view mirror, you would never know.
It's never skipped a beat.
Nextbase say they don't recommend it, but I think it's a better unit than the new one.

Ah brilliant, thank you. Didn't want to try and push too hard - put it in at an angle and it slipped right in (ooh matron)!

Yeah I was reading about it jot being recommended, but it seems like you only get a possible issue if you have a rear camera, which I won't be installing on this car, so should be peachy.

I've got both, front and rear cameras, and not had an issue that wasn't either earlier firmware related, or app related, but both have been fixed with updates.
As far as I am concerned, both cameras work just fine, and the footage is fine too.

The issues seem more akin with SD cards, and Gen2 hardwire kits, as those seem to be the middle ground all owners have.
I'm sure there was a topic on here that indicated that the Gen 2 hardwire kits might not be pumping out as much power as they should, so causing issues with the cameras.

I'm sure there was a topic on here that indicated that the Gen 2 hardwire kits might not be pumping out as much power as they should, so causing issues with the cameras.
Hardwire kits do not 'pump out power'. They supply a voltage and the current that flows will depend on the camera. Provided that the curre nt rating of the hardwire kit is not exceed then all should be good.

You know what I meant, I meant not up to the task, as that along with the Nextbase SD cards, seems to be a common denominator, well apart from the cameras.
I had nothing but bother with my Nextbase SD card, in fact on my 512, it was the cause of most of my issues, including the 1 - 3 minute weird parking mode videos, with nothing near the car.
Swap the card, issues solved.

I had that issue when going from the 412 to the 422 but I used a metal file to file down the sides & it works OK but I'm using a 2.0 meter usb lead not the hard wire kit tbh for my personal needs

You know what I meant, I meant not up to the task,
Yes, I thought that's what you meant. However the expression "pumping out as much power...." is incorrect and could easily mislead someone who is not as technically astute as you or I as to how power supplies work.

Back