Hardwire kit not properly powering my camera

winchester11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I recently purchased an 129 Duo to replace my B1W. I have installed it using the 3-wire hardwire kit and tapped into the fuse box for power. I am confident that I have found a constant and switched power source and a good ground because I have tested them using other accessories. Unfortunately, I am seeing weird problems. In the past the camera has stayed powered on constantly but does not recognize when the ignition is turned on and off for a transfer to parking mode. Currently, however, the camera will not power on at all, regardless of whether the ignition is on. I have the power cable plugged directly into the camera, which is mounted on the GPS mount. I'm speculating that I may have a faulty hardwire cable, but I'm interested to see what your opinion is. Any help is appreciated.

With the car running, do you see a red light glowing inside the convertor box of the hardwire kit? You should see a red light through the vent holes.

With the car running, do you see a red light glowing inside the convertor box of the hardwire kit? You should see a red light through the vent holes.
I do not see a light. I did see one last night when the camera was getting power, but there is no light now.

This is with the car running correct?

No light = no power. Either the red wire is not getting power, you have a poor ground or the battery is supplying voltage less than the cut off setting on the hardwire kit.

This is with the car running correct?

No light = no power. Either the red wire is not getting power, you have a poor ground or the battery is supplying voltage less than the cut off setting on the hardwire kit.
Yes, it's with the car running. Do you recommend cutting off my fuse tap from the red wire and installing another one? My ground point is the same one I'm using for another accessory which runs fine. I tried setting the cutoff to the lowest setting and it still didn't power on; I doubt the battery voltage is under 11.8V.

Do you have a meter to check voltages? I wouldn't cut it off, unless you know the fuse tap is the issue, which is unlikely. Did you check the fuses in the taps? Wiggle the ground wire at the bolting spot and see if light flickers (possible bad connection at preattached ground connector.

Do you have a meter to check voltages? I wouldn't cut it off, unless you know the fuse tap is the issue, which is unlikely. Did you check the fuses in the taps? Wiggle the ground wire at the bolting spot and see if light flickers (possible bad connection at preattached ground connector.
I checked the fuse by switching it out for another fuse that I know is working. I also tried wiggling the ground wire - it's very firmly affixed in place. I tested both with the ignition on and no red light came on. What else do you recommend? Cut off the preattached ground and connect my own terminal? Should I buy a multimeter?

Have you tested the camera itself using a USB wall charger and the Viofo short data cable that came in the box? Or use the included 12V car adapter. Hardwire kit isn't getting power, but might to at least make sure camera is working.

Have you tested the camera itself using a USB wall charger and the Viofo short data cable that came in the box? Or use the included 12V car adapter. Hardwire kit isn't getting power, but might to at least make sure camera is working.
Yes, I've plugged the camera into my computer and the wall to update the firmware and it worked fine and was recording video.

I appreciate your help so far. Are there any other suggestions for troubleshooting or should I try a new hardwire kit?

If your 100% sure all your connections are good, then I’d say you need another kit.
You have fuses in both slots of each fuse tap right?

If your 100% sure all your connections are good, then I’d say you need another kit.
You have fuses in both slots of each fuse tap right?
One of the taps only has a single fuse in it because that slot had no preexisting fuse. I have that single fuse in the correct position to supply power to the camera. Could that be causing a problem?

One of the taps only has a single fuse in it because that slot had no preexisting fuse. I have that single fuse in the correct position to supply power to the camera. Could that be causing a problem?
Is that for the red or yellow wire? Rotate it 180 degrees and try.

I would talk to the seller about a replacement if it’s still under warranty.
I bought the camera from you but the cable off Amazon, so I am going to order a new cable and if it works I will return the old one. Thanks for your assistance.

I bought the camera from you but the cable off Amazon, so I am going to order a new cable and if it works I will return the old one. Thanks for your assistance.
You bought the hardwire kit from my Amazon listing or someone else’s?

Fulfillment by Amazon is currently out of stock for my hardwire kit listings, but my listing is there for Seller Fulfillment. If your still within the 30 return window, then return and get another. Maybe contact Viofo too, they will help if your outside the return period.

I've had no success with the second hardwire kit. I've tried different ground points and different fuse taps and fuses to no avail. I've measured the constant and switched fuses with a multimeter and everything checks out in that respect. It appears my adapter is still not getting any power at all because no red light is coming on.

In the interim, I've been powering the camera via the cigarette lighter plug. I've noticed a strange behavior where it sometimes will boot up when the car is turned on, but sometimes it won't. Is it possible there is something wrong with my camera? I really can't think of anything else to try as far as this hardwire is concerned.

Back