Hardwire kit not properly powering my camera

Hello all,

I recently purchased an 129 Duo to replace my B1W. I have installed it using the 3-wire hardwire kit and tapped into the fuse box for power. I am confident that I have found a constant and switched power source and a good ground because I have tested them using other accessories. Unfortunately, I am seeing weird problems. In the past the camera has stayed powered on constantly but does not recognize when the ignition is turned on and off for a transfer to parking mode. Currently, however, the camera will not power on at all, regardless of whether the ignition is on. I have the power cable plugged directly into the camera, which is mounted on the GPS mount. I'm speculating that I may have a faulty hardwire cable, but I'm interested to see what your opinion is. Any help is appreciated.

Assuming the camera isn't faulty, you've hardwired the camera improperly.

Red = Battery. Meaning a constant power source... I.E. Power Seats. (You need to look at manual to find a fuse that doesn't tap into critical systems).

Yellow = ACC. This is something that turns on when car is started. I tapped into my heated seats. Find a fuse that doesn't tap critical systems.

Black = Ground to backing of a metal screw.

One issue I suffered in beginning is that I tapped into a fuse that seemed benign. However, I would come out to my car and find the camera powered on. Swearing I had powered it off. Lo and behold, the fuse I used somehow tied into the locking / security system of my vehicle. Even though it wasn't listed on the manual. So whenever I locked my car, mirrors folded, and alarm enabled, the camera powered on. Swapping fuse resolved the issue.

One of the taps only has a single fuse in it because that slot had no preexisting fuse. I have that single fuse in the correct position to supply power to the camera. Could that be causing a problem?
The fuse taps I used required fuses in both positions. It did not power the tap wire unless both positions were filled. This is easy enough to test w/ a multimeter.

Update: I was eventually able to get the third hardwire kit I ordered to work. After testing and consultation with an expert I determined that the first two were both faulty and would not get the required current to the dashcam. I will be sending back those two kits for a refund.

Camera is working great so far since I got it powered up, including parking mode. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have a similar problem. The camera worked fine when connected to the computer but not when installed. I have a hard wire kit fed from a Cellink Neo 9 battery pack. A correct wiring diagram would be very helpful but I cannot seem to find one. The cable colours coming out of the battery are the opposite of the hardwire kit. There is also a green cable (earth?) and a black one (negative). I have connected the negative of the hard wired kit directly to the metal of the car, not sure whether I should have done that or connected to the black cable coming out of the battery. Any ideas would be really useful.

I found this wiring diagram, which originally was all in Polish. I have translated it and connected my installation this way. As I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid, the main battery is small and would drain very quickly so I have tried feeding the input off an ACC fuse and it works. However I'm not sure that Buffered Parking is working. I might have to find a Permanant +ve connection and hope that the Cellink electronics stop the main battery draining and only uses the ACC connection. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Cellink Connection to Viofo ENGLISH.pdf
    259.4 KB · Views: 20
I found this wiring diagram, which originally was all in Polish. I have translated it and connected my installation this way. As I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid, the main battery is small and would drain very quickly so I have tried feeding the input off an ACC fuse and it works. However I'm not sure that Buffered Parking is working. I might have to find a Permanant +ve connection and hope that the Cellink electronics stop the main battery draining and only uses the ACC connection. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Draining battery (or not) in some hybrid or full electric cars.

Since last week I use the A129 pro (with some problems listed in the pro forum) also wired with the HK3 kit in a car with a small (agm) battery, (in a Mitsubishi outlander PHEV hybrid) so you would think it would drain quickly... but as anticipated it does not. The small normal main battery which powers the normal fuse (12 v and ACC) is charged al least once a day by the "really" main driving battery (11kWh). Maybe even more often if voltage drops low, but once a day for sure (during nighttime) I left the parking mode on for two days and it didn't drain the battery and camera still running (cut off voltage 12.2).

Thanks 968mint, I will give it a try. I have been using the Parking mode via the Cellnet Neo 9, it seems to have worked OK but a little too sensitive (the Neo 9 was down to 9% after i night) so I need to play with the settings.

I found this wiring diagram, which originally was all in Polish. I have translated it and connected my installation this way. As I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid, the main battery is small and would drain very quickly so I have tried feeding the input off an ACC fuse and it works. However I'm not sure that Buffered Parking is working.

I installed A129 in hybrid car in similar way. It is working fine since March 2019. You can check on display if camera is switching in to the buffered mode. BTW low bit rate is better IMHO.

The small normal main battery which powers the normal fuse (12 v and ACC) is charged al least once a day by the "really" main driving battery (11kWh).

It's nice feature. Unfortunately not in all hybrid cars "big battery" is charging 12V battery while car is parked.

I installed A129 in hybrid car in similar way. It is working fine since March 2019. You can check on display if camera is switching in to the buffered mode. BTW low bit rate is better IMHO.

It's nice feature. Unfortunately not in all hybrid cars "big battery" is charging 12V battery while car is parked.
Hi thanks for replying, I have fitted a Cellnet Neo 9 battery to power during parking, how can I tell on the display that it has entered buffered parking mode. Do you mean because the display switches on? Also why do you think low bit rate is better, not criticising just curious and trying to learn. Cheers

how can I tell on the display that it has entered buffered parking mode. Do you mean because the display switches on?
Check icon on display, please refer to: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a129-never-stops-recording-in-parking-mode.38187/#post-455160 (icon for buffered parking mode can be different).

Also why do you think low bit rate is better, not criticising just curious and trying to learn.
With LB mode there is no risk that we miss something interesting/important.

Back