Hardwire kit question

Green

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just got the X500, im looking at the Thinkware hardwire kit, that block on the wires is that the "power module" that monitors battery levels or is that what the camera does?

I would much rather a cheaper cable as there are sites that can do this, cause $40 for a simple cable seems crazy.

So then what does that black block do? Just another level of shielding?

According to Thinkware's website, it's a power module that detects voltage levels and automatically shuts off to prevent vehicle battery drain.

That's in the description of the hardware kit, not the camera.

I'm guessing it's a normally open relay that requires a minimum voltage to stay closed. It's probably triggered at or below the lowest voltage setting in the "Auto-off" setting in the camera (I think 12v) as a failsafe to the camera setting. There will still be a minimal drain after the camera shuts off, this probably keeps that drain from killing the battery if it's already weak or sits for an extended period of time.

So then its worth it might be worth getting the kit.....:(

I have the H100-X500HARDWIRE kit and the 'black box" on one of the wires is a fuse holder. It is definitely the camera that monitors the voltage and shuts down when it reaches a threshold and not the kit. I bench tested this feature (on the F750). The manual states that it shuts down if below the threshold for 5 mins, but in my case it did it in about 3 mins.

Back