Hardwire on Ford Fiesta 2018

notownblues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just hardwired the A129 on my UK Ford Fiesta 2018 using the 3 Kit and the following fuse slots:

10A - Parking assist control module (IGNITION ON)
30A - Right-hand mirror switch / Right-hand front power windows (CONSTANT)

I'd have preferred to use a lower amp slot than 30A for the Constant like 10A or 15A ideally but there's no better slot I can find for the fuse tap to go in fully.

I'm using this fuse tap which states in the Specs: "Maximum current: 30A"

Now my question is, is my current setup fine? Is it fine to use a 30A slot? When they say max current 30A for the fuse tap is it for the added fuse or both?

I'm using a 5A fuse for the dash cam.

Thanks

That's a very interesting question. My take on it is this..
In theory, with your fuse configuration you have a max current of 30 + 5 = 35Amps. So you are 5 amps over in the total current flowing via your fuse tap.
However, there is only 30 amps flowing through the feed side of the fuse tap through the exiting 30amp circuit.
And 5 amps flowing through the feed side of the tap and the new wire to you cam.
If the spec refers to the total current through both legs then you are over by 5amps.
But, if it refers to the current in the new circuit then you are under by 25amps.
Ambiguous and I don't kinow the answer. Perhaps the supplier/manufacturer can clear it up.
If not then to be safe I guess you should tap into a 25amp or smaller fuse to be safe.
I'm sure someone more clued up on these things will add some light on this.
Just to add. I can't see any dashcam drawing 5 amps and I very much doubt that the 30 amp circuit is drawing that much so you are probably within the 30 amp limit anyway. But don't quote me on that, it's just me surmising.

The maximum current you can have with the fuse arrangement is 30 + 5 = 35 Amps. Therefore, the total current going through your fuse tap is 5 amps above the limit.
However, the leaving 30 amp circuit is only supplying 30 amps to the feed side of the fuse tap.
Additionally, the feed side of the tap and the new wire to your camera are both receiving 5 amps.
If the specification relates to the total current flowing through both legs, you are 5 amps over.
However, if it's talking about the new circuit's current, you're under by 25 amps.
ambiguous, and I'm not sure of the solution. Maybe the manufacturer or supplier can explain.
If not, you should probably tap into a 25 amp or smaller fuse out of caution.
Someone with greater knowledge on this will undoubtedly shed some additional light on this. drift boss

Back