Hardwire (parking mode) question before purchase

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i'll be buying the VIOFO A119 v3 soon. Question is whether I just wire it in like my existing cam is (so use the supplied power cable which has a 12v male end and connect this in to the 12v female I have piggy backed to the fuse box behind the glovebox) which I think will then not provide parking mode

Or do I pay the £8.97 for the hard wire kit (not grumbling about price, i'm just saying) and wire it in so that it provides a parking mode. As I don't really know anything about parking mode, that's why I'm here.

So I had no idea how to wire in until I saw a post recently. So just to check, there will be red, black & yellow with this kit, instead of the usual red & black.
Black goes to a ground point, commonly a bolt in to the body work
Red can be piggy backed in to a switched live. In my case my 12v socket fuse.
It was always yellow that bothered me. Does this get piggy backed in to a fuse that is permanent live?

That's the first part of the questioning done with. Then once it's up and running...

* I'm assuming it records around the clock rather than requiring a 'bump' to trigger it?
* Obvious concern there is car battery drain. If i drove big miles daily I wouldn't even question it. I'm on about 2x 10 mile trips daily for a total 20 mile per day. Some times though I can finish about say 6pm Friday and not get in the car again until Monday. If i'm on holiday then it may be 7-8 days that I don't use the car.
What I'm saying is, I don't want to come to the car the next time I need it only for it to not start because my dash cam drained the battery.
Risk of that happening?
* Minimum required SD card for this? Or would you just jump straight in with the highest it can hold - 256GB in this case?

Finally, the only real down side I can see of the A119 is there's no rear cam partner to it. So to go rear cam I'm considering using 2x A119 v3 units, front and rear, just because the image quality is superior to the A129 from the examples I've seen on here.

How would you then wire up the rear? As there could end up a mess of piggy backs behind the glovebox.

Back