Hardwire questions

Denisx

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
I've been following

To hardwire A129 Plus. Everything works fine, but for some reason I started reading on the AMP fuse for the camera and it is suggested to be 5AMP max. Currently I'm using 10 AMP (both original and for the camera). Should I switch the camera one to 5 AMP? Per the video, the camera fuse is one next to the cable. I'm attaching photo of my fuse box installation.

One more question, because I'm about to hardwire my wife's car as well.
Fuse tap has 20 AMP max, is this per fuse or for both?
I'm asking because I'm able to find constant power fuse in her car with 10AMP (considering the fuse tap max AMP is for both) but it is ECU related, and per the video we should avoid critical fuse.

Tl;dr if I find fuse with with more than 20 AMP + 5 AMP for the camera is it safe? Or I should look for 15 AMP + 5AMP?

349fc184ce3fae315a258f724b3f8f81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

From the fuse taps I've seen they are designed to keep the original fuse rating and have a second slot for the accessory (dashcam) wire.

So, if the original fuse is 10A than that stays as is and the second fuse slot should ideally be 2A but 5A absolute max.

Before you use the 'tap' though, see if your car fusebox has a dedicated accessory slot so the dashcam gets its own unique power source.

Thanks, I've replaced the camera fuses to 5amp, because I couldn't find 2amp.

About my wife's if original one is 15 amp, 5 amp will be fine?

Thanks!

Please make sure you have the correct orientation for your fuse tap:

You may have a 15amp accessory circuit. It does not mean you can simply add another 5amps on top of that.

The inside of fuse boxes are printed circuits. Not 6awg wire!

If you running both accessories simultaneously you will more than likely fry something.

Passenger fuse box from my car:
_MG_6492.jpg

You may have a 15amp accessory circuit. It does not mean you can simply add another 5amps on top of that.

The inside of fuse boxes are printed circuits. Not 6awg wire!

If you running both accessories simultaneously you will more than likely fry something.

Passenger fuse box from my car:
View attachment 56973
In the OP’s case his fuse box in the picture actually has wires to and from it rather than it being part of an ECU, a rarity these days but seems VAG still use it (I don’t know if the OP has a VAG car but they definitely use the ones shown)

Yes, it's a VAG car. 2017 year, so yeah, they seem to still use it.

PS. I have followed the orientation of the fuse tap, based on the video I've attached.

Back