Hardwire Troubleshooting Help

jtnoboru

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I picked up an A118C recently and used it for about 2 weeks with the cigarette power adapter w/o issue, but once I hardwired it, about 1 out of 10 times it won't turn on automatically (it will turn on if I hit the power button). I hardwired it to the same accessory wire (in driver's side boot) that I installed a rear view mirror LCD/compass/dimmer...the mirror works fine even when the dash cam doesn't turn on, but could the extra power demand be insufficient to power both? Or could the cheap eBay hardwire kit be the problem? Last resort I'm willing to try is tapping another accessory wire, but it was already difficult enough to find the one I'm using. I drive a CT200h if that matters.

This is the kit I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121387423140
Any help appreciated.

I had a similar kit tied into a console circuit, but did away with it. The wires on mine were as thin as thread. One here suspects the power and voltage on his kit wasn't stable enough and damaged his dashcam.

I wire mine with an add-a-fuse or fuse tap from the fuse box with a loose 12 volt socket and the provided power cord secured with electric tape. This configuration powers and protects the dashcam as intended by the manufacturer. Routing the wire is a pain until you find an acceptable path.

That hardwire kit can work for the A118C right? I'm going to hardwire my A118C soon so is there a benefit to hardwiring compared to just leaving it in the cigarette lighter? In my case, I'm using a usb cable to a usb hub. I'm hope it's not that difficult.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to tap another wire.

That hardwire kit can work for the A118C right? I'm going to hardwire my A118C soon so is there a benefit to hardwiring compared to just leaving it in the cigarette lighter? In my case, I'm using a usb cable to a usb hub. I'm hope it's not that difficult.

Hardwiring benefits me in two ways. First, it frees up my AC adapter which I usually use to charge a passenger phone and/or my BT headphones. Second, it makes a cleaner/better setup without wires having to come out from panels to reach the AC plug. Unfortunately, I can't do your method with the USB hub because my car only has one USB outlet next to the AC which is strictly for my phone since it charges it AND my car reads it for media/music. I'm pretty sure I'll get problems if I hook up a USB hub to it, especially if there are two phones connected.

if all you're doing is powering dashcam(s) or charging phones with it, a powered USB hub doesn't need to be connected to any other USB ports. it just needs a power source. i thought about adding a powered hub in my overhead console but i don't mess with dashcams often enough for it to be worth the effort.

Back