Hardwired B1W constantly restarting

Mikec123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a B1W hardwired with the kit recommended in this forum. About half the time I use the car, the camera will constantly cycle on and off. I checked and double checked the connections and all are good. I have had this issue for a couple months now and am just now getting to making a post about it. Is my hardwire kit faulty? Any other ideas?

I am running the 20180614S Auto parking firmware.

tried a different memory card?

try the included cig power setup for a while and see if the result is different

If you have a multi-meter, you can check its output from your hardwire kit and also from your battery. I suspend that low voltage from your hardwire kit when parking!

I'll dig around to see if I can find the cigarette outlet charger to try that. I'll see if I can find another SD card to try if that doesn't work.

I don't have access to the car at the moment, but isn't the output from the hardwire kit the shrouded usb cable that runs all the way to the camera? How would I check that with a multimeter? Also, I assume the voltage protector on the hardwire kit is working and keeping the battery voltage from dropping too low. I haven't had any issues starting the car after a couple days, so I assume that's working. Also, I can get in the car first thing in the morning and drive to the store with no problem, then get in to drive home and the camera will start acting up. If it were low voltage when parking, how would that affect the camera when the car is running?

If it were low voltage when parking, how would that affect the camera when the car is running?
It does not affect the camera when your car is running.

I see. My issue is when the car is running/driving. As far as I know, the parking mode is working as intended.

It's not just you. I have the exact same problem. The way I found a fix for this was that you have to unplug the cable and plug it back in very tightly. The connections get loose easily and it's a pain in the butt. What I think that's causing it is the vibration from the car. I already asked if I can have this warranted but shipping and everything takes too long and don't want to risk not having a dashcam.

Loose mini USB connections can often be tightened by very slightly "denting in" the center of the metal plug shield on the long side of the connector. Go slowly as it's very easy to dent them too far. I've fixed a few G1W/x cams this way and it works well, but don't use the altered plug on other cams with tight sockets or it may damage them. If it doesn't want to go together with some moderate wiggling, don't force it- reduce the dent and try again ;) Loosening can also be helped by not having too much cable dangling loosely.

Though it shouldn't happen in theory, these kinds of connections which slide into place will often benefit from some "self-cleaning" by removing and reinserting the plug a few times occasionally.

Phil

Back