Hardwired for ignition on/off power, but I really ALSO want a short duration of power at ignition off

Howie_S

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3
I've already successfully tapped into my 2021 Subaru Forester Limited compass+auto-dimming mirror wiring (above the overhead console/Eyesight camera cover) for powering my brand new A119 V3 for turning on/off with ignition start/stop.

I don't really need parking mode, and I mostly use a dashcam to be my "witness" in case of an accident, but here's my dilemma:

If an accident were to occur, especially if somewhat serious, I'd probably be turning off the ignition as soon as possible, but ideally I'd still want to have the camera recording the "aftermath". Currently, the camera turns off immediately when the ignition turns off.

In my case, I do not wish to run cables behind trim and pillar to the fuse box or an accessory power outlet. I realize I could re-wire for always-on power and try to use parking mode in a limited way, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Does anyone have any creative ideas? Thanks!

I've already successfully tapped into my 2021 Subaru Forester Limited compass+auto-dimming mirror wiring (above the overhead console/Eyesight camera cover) for powering my brand new A119 V3 for turning on/off with ignition start/stop.

I don't really need parking mode, and I mostly use a dashcam to be my "witness" in case of an accident, but here's my dilemma:

If an accident were to occur, especially if somewhat serious, I'd probably be turning off the ignition as soon as possible, but ideally I'd still want to have the camera recording the "aftermath". Currently, the camera turns off immediately when the ignition turns off.

In my case, I do not wish to run cables behind trim and pillar to the fuse box or an accessory power outlet. I realize I could re-wire for always-on power and try to use parking mode in a limited way, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Does anyone have any creative ideas? Thanks!

These might be what you are looking for.
They are cheaper than making them at home!

1659666289165.png1659666313224.png

How short is short? 30 minutes?

These might be what you are looking for.
Thanks, this idea looks very promising, and let me also to similar products that might even be better, certainly smaller and may be more versatile at https://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-Timers_c_15.html (they also sell their products on Amazon.)

Just wondering if you would have a link to anything that might allow for the delay relay like this to implement its own shut off/disconnect when it deenergizes the circuit (to the camera) after the delay so that it's not drawing the albeit small amount of current from still being connected itself to the battery?

A delay relay doesn't help when there is no power coming in the first place. You would need a battery. A tiny dashcam battery pack might work, but I don't know if anyone makes such a thing, and it might pull too much current when charging.

Thanks, @kopra for your comment. I actually devised a solution after going in direction inspired by @LateralNW using a very cool little timer with tons of options and built-in WiFi and its own on-board HTML page for graphic UI configuration. I also changed gears a bit and tapped into always-on 12V power, but use the ACC power on/off as the trigger for the timer function I wanted.

I plan to add a new thread with details and photos of my install in the coming weeks.

I'll provide links to the timer I chose. I only needed 5A model, but went with 10A capacity because of the built-in WiFi (allows me to reprogram without physical access to it,) and it was also available via Amazon Prime in the seller's Amazon store, but he makes other models.

I'm very happy with it: https://timers.shop/6V-28V-10-Amp-Timer-Wi-Fi-configurable-via-phone_p_44.html
(other timer products as well as lots of very helpful documentation can be found there as well.)
The link to the timer on Amazon is https://www.amazon.com/gp/B083HN673G

(Teaser pics, more to come in new post)
Timer, power assembly 3-image-collage.jpg

Back