Hardwiring a Cellink Neo

hitman84

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I posted this question over at Camaro6 but haven't gotten any reply, maybe you guys here would have a better idea?
I drive a 2018 Camaro where the only fuse box locations are the engine bay and trunk.

I hardwired the Cellink Neo into the fuse box in the trunk. Originally I wired it to what the manual describes as the amplifier fuse. I assumed it would only receive power when the vehicle is on but I was incorrect.

Ok that didn't work but in the trunk box is also a fuse for the car's built in phone wireless charger. The battery draws 9 amps of power when set to hi and the wireless charger fuse is a 5 amp. My stupid ass basically blew the 5 amp fuse. I replaced it with a 10 amp and the add a fuse is also a 10.
Battery properly only charges now only when the vehicle is on but when I have it set to Hi battery for faster charging the app for the battery is kicking out a low voltage warning.
I dropped the battery to low draw(which is technically meant for when the battery is connected to the DC plug inside the car.) and it's fine but charging slowly. My commute to work each day is about an hour, on low I'm getting about half charge, with hi it should be close to full.
My question is, are the fuses limiting the power to the battery or the fuse location? Would a different fuse location provide more power?

The wiring to a 5 amp fuse may only be capable of 8A, you are trying to draw the say 3A plus 9A through that wire, it's probably restricting the output and causing a volt drop, in the process your wiring may be getting hot too! Ideally use a 20A circuit. Never up rate a fuse as you're just moving the fuseable point to elsewhere in the wiring, which won't be as easy to replace.

The wiring to a 5 amp fuse may only be capable of 8A, you are trying to draw the say 3A plus 9A through that wire, it's probably restricting the output and causing a volt drop, in the process your wiring may be getting hot too! Ideally use a 20A circuit. Never up rate a fuse as you're just moving the fuseable point to elsewhere in the wiring, which won't be as easy to replace.
so basically find an existing 20 Amp fuse that only gives power when the car is on to add to. Hmm....Not sure if that's doable in my trunk though honestly I'm no wiring guy

Normally the Cigarette/Accessory socket is powered how you need with a 20A fuse, and it should not be permanent otherwise your phone or something could drain your car battery when the car is off!

It's surprising the Amplifier supply is not on switched ignition, are you sure it's not just a delayed switch off? mine keeps things alive for 2 minutes after ignition off.

Does the low voltage warning occur with the engine running, as my Cellink Neo also beeps when the car is just on ignition and stops when I run the engine and the charging starts.

Normally the Cigarette/Accessory socket is powered how you need with a 20A fuse, and it should not be permanent otherwise your phone or something could drain your car battery when the car is off!

It's surprising the Amplifier supply is not on switched ignition, are you sure it's not just a delayed switch off? mine keeps things alive for 2 minutes after ignition off.

Does the low voltage warning occur with the engine running, as my Cellink Neo also beeps when the car is just on ignition and stops when I run the engine and the charging starts.
Honestly that's a very good question, I may have to recheck for the sake of being thorough but pretty positive because when I checked after the initial install it was a good 5 or so minutes from off to checking. But what my car tends to do it when you turn it off most of the inside cabin power like the radio stays on until you open the driver door then power cuts. The current fuse I tapped into works just like that, charges the battery until the engine is turned off and the driver door is open, then the app immediately says charging stops.
What I may have to do is just swap the fuse back to it after the car has been off a while to double check now that you have me wondering.

It only happens when engine is running, when not, not charging at all, which is what I expected.

so I hit just about every other fuse in the trunk, they all provide constant power.
I may have to have best buy wire it to the engine compartment.

Back