HARDWIRING A119 IS IT SAFE ?

cherroudi

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Hello everyone, i have just received the original hardwire kit of the viofo a119 and i'm a little bit hesitant abour installing it. Am afraid it will drain my car's battery.
At the moment, when i'm parking the car for some period of time usually a short period (2/3hours daily) i use a 5000mah powerbank to power the parking mode.
Is it safe to hardwire the dashcam to the car's fuse box without runing the risk of battery draining ?
Thank you in advance.
20180423_135040png.png

Never used one of these and I wouldn't as these kits don't come with an adjustable low voltage cut-off control, cut-off is set to 11.6. Which from what I've read, in some cases it can lead to the car not starting. Even if the engine turns on at such low voltages, not good to deep discharge the battery on a regular basis, affects battery life.

On second thought, if your stops do not exceed 2-3 hours, this kit should be sufficient. For longer durations, I'd suggest looking into a kit with an adjustable cut-off.

On second thought, if your stops do not exceed 2-3 hours, this kit should be sufficient. For longer durations, I'd suggest looking into a kit with an adjustable cut-off.
Thank you for the fast reply.
Can you show me exemples of these adjustable kits or links ? Do they have higher voltage shut downs ?

Thank you for the fast reply.
Can you show me exemples of these adjustable kits or links ? Do they have higher voltage shut downs ?

Kits like the Vico power plus, power magic pro and the multi safer. I use a Vico power plus with my front and rear cameras while parked when out.

Thank you for the clarification.
I have had a look at the prices of these adjustable kits (50 to 60) dollars, little bit expensive for my usage (3 to 4hours a day )so i will just stick with my powerbank in parking mode, i don't mind plugging it everytime i went out of the car.

I would say yeah, it would be fine for your battery considering you don't leave you car parked for days on end.
Though like others have said, a kit with voltage cut off and/or timer turn off would be better to install if you were going to go through the hassle.

Otherwise use the battery pack until you need it hardwired.
Having it hardwired reduces chances of theft too, something to consider.

I use one of these (mini usb version)....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B074M4XMBX
It has a manual switch to provide constant power or switched power. I only switch to permanent power when parked in a public place. Otherwise I leave it in switched mode so that the battery is not drained when the car is parked at home.

I use one of these (mini usb version)....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B074M4XMBX
It has a manual switch to provide constant power or switched power. I only switch to permanent power when parked in a public place. Otherwise I leave it in switched mode so that the battery is not drained when the car is parked at home.

Interesting.. however if accidentally left on surveillance mode for too long it'll kill your battery.

If you read the feature details it has 11.6V cut off.

I've never found my battery to be above 11.8V before starting in the morning. It's an AGM battery which is at least 5.5 years old. No problems starting the car, which I've owned from new.

I used this on my wrangler, I just hooked it up the accessory fuse, so it only turns on when the jeeps on.

Thank you for the clarification.
I have had a look at the prices of these adjustable kits (50 to 60) dollars, little bit expensive for my usage (3 to 4hours a day )so i will just stick with my powerbank in parking mode, i don't mind plugging it everytime i went out of the car.

Unplugging it is what you'll need to do. Don't forget without unplugging it, parking isn't 3-4 hrs per day. Parking is 3-4hrs + 8-10hrs overnight as a powered camera will run 24/7 in parking mode unless there are settings to stop it.

I've never found my battery to be above 11.8V before starting in the morning. It's an AGM battery which is at least 5.5 years old. No problems starting the car, which I've owned from new.
this can be OK depending on many factors - size of the battery, engine displacement, fuel type (diesels need a lot more power to crank), whether it's a hybrid, etc... yes AGMs usually handle deep cycles better than conventional batteries, but it's not the only factor.

I've found this cable with adjusting voltage shutdown, what do you think ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-30-23-29-42.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-30-23-29-42.png
    612.5 KB · Views: 29
I've found this cable with adjusting voltage shutdown, what do you think ??
I think you need to plug in your phone ;)

It may work just fine - I recommend cutoff at 12.2v. My only concern is what they mean by "parking guard signal". It might be trying to send some proprietary signal over the USB data pins that your camera might not know what to do with. Also hard to tell if the plug is mini or micro USB - it needs to be mini.

Looks like it's Micro USB. Other than that, you have the voltage steps and it states 2A, should be fine.

Back