Hardwiring a129 questions

hackisacker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I've been wanting to get into the dash cam scene for a bit now and I've been doing my research and I have decided that I want an a129 and utilize parking mode. In order to do this I was thinking about getting the VicoVation Vico-Power Plus and set the cut off for 12.2V then splicing in the official Viofo 12v to 5v hardwire kit after the Power Plus to run that to the camera.

The question I have is that according to VicoVation site the Power Plus can only output 2 amps, the Viofo Hardwire Kit says it only outputs 1.5 amps and the camera on Viofo's site says it inputs at 3.1 amps. What is going on here? Am I not understanding something because it seems like everything should be at least outputting 3.1 amps if that is what the camera needs, especially the offical hardwire kit for the camera.

Viofo will be releasing a dedicated hardwire kit specifically for the A129, I would wait for that instead of buying the Vico Power and splicing that other hardwire kit into it. It will be 3 wire so it will engage parking mode automatically when the car is turned off and should have low voltage protection. The A129 will have a firmware update to support this. Probably a few weeks out at this point.

I think the reason the specs say 3.1 amps, is because the included car charger is 3.1 amps output. I currently run my A129 with this hardwire kit which claims output up to 1 amp.

As long as you have 5v\1a you should be fine. That said I would wait for the Viofo 3 wire hardwire kit to be released.

Ah, gotcha! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have read that they were releasing a special 3 wire kit for a bit now and I thought the above link I posted WAS their new 3 wire kit because they did not list that kit as being for the a129 until like a week or so ago.

I've not seen it use more than 0.3 amps, a 1 amp supply is fine, as long as it still produces 1 amp when it gets hot, anything more than 1 amp is OK.
I think Viofo's spec might for the dual output lighter socket charger which can give 1 amp to the camera and 2.1 amp to your phone, making 3.1 amp total.

I would also advise waiting for the Viofo hardwire kit with parking mode trigger.

Yes, I think it's very misleading. The current hardwire kit is not suitable for parking mode, and they claim it will protect your battery from being drained. According to the picture low voltage cutoff is 11.6v, which is basically a dead battery. It should only be used to power the dashcam while your car is running in my opinion

@viofo Please update the description for the current hardwire kit as it's not suitable for parking mode or low voltage cutoff.

Yes, I think it's very misleading. The current hardwire kit is not suitable for parking mode, and they claim it will protect your battery from being drained. According to the picture low voltage cutoff is 11.6v, which is basically a dead battery. It should only be used to power the dashcam while your car is running in my opinion

@viofo Please update the description for the current hardwire kit as it's not suitable for parking mode or low voltage cutoff.
It would work with the A119 parking mode, so it is not exactly incorrect. 11.6v would be a dead battery if nothing was taking power from it, or could be a half full battery supplying 100 watts. If you add together the current draw of the camera and all the other power drains, eg car alarm, and take into account the voltage drop through the wiring from the battery, through the fuse box to the hardwire kit then the battery will not be empty at 11.6v. It had better be an AGM battery though otherwise it wont last long if you reach that low often!

The current hardwire kit cutoff is 11.6V. The new 3 cables which have ACC detection have 4 switch like 11.8V, 12V, 12.2v, 12.4V.

Any timeframe for availability?
We have samples in stock, can offer some for free for testing, please me.
Please notice the official firmware for parking mode is not released yet, we are still check how to make it compatible for different hardwire kit cable.
Maybe we have to release 2 different firmware for different parking mode solution.

Please notice the official firmware for parking mode is not released yet, we are still check how to make it compatible for different hardwire kit cable.
Maybe we have to release 2 different firmware for different parking mode solution.

Just sent you a PM. Willing to test both Firmwares and the Hardwire kit.

I'm interested in receiving the sample hard wire kit for testing if they are still available.

Forgot to mention I did recently purchased the A129 Duo and am in need of the hard wire option.

I'm also interested - I have had the A129 duo for over a month now, but have held off on installation because everyone is saying to wait for the new kit.

I'm also interested - I have had the A129 duo for over a month now, but have held off on installation because everyone is saying to wait for the new kit.
Hopefully I don't end up in the same situation with waiting. I got my dash cam recently and am looking for updates for hardwire kit. Did you open up the package to make sure everything is in working order?

I've had the A129 Duo dual cameras set-up on my kitchen counter just to check out the cameras, wi-fi app and to format the storage card. Everything seems to be working fine. Haven't had it at outside location to checkout the GPS functionality but should be ok. The wi-fi app on my iPhone 6 works good.

And the A129 f/w date was something like 7/9/2018. Was nice to see it was updated that recently.

I will be happy to test one.

Back