Hardwiring advice

madmednan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Have been reading the forums for the last few days for the wealth of info regarding dash cam install. This is my first attempted installation. I have the Blackvue 750s 2ch. I have tried to hardwire it. Please see the pic below.
For some reason, I can get it to stay on after a few minutes of turning off the ignition. The camera says, "entering parking mode" but then after a few mins it shuts down.

My car is a 2018 440i gran coupe. The fuses I checked after half an hour of the camera shutting dow and they seem live with the circuit tester. The accessory fuse turns off but back on when the car is restarted. I have not tried hardwiring it direct to the battery as I heard bad things about it.

Looking at my install, is there something I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi all. Have been reading the forums for the last few days for the wealth of info regarding dash cam install. This is my first attempted installation. I have the Blackvue 750s 2ch. I have tried to hardwire it. Please see the pic below.
For some reason, I can get it to stay on after a few minutes of turning off the ignition. The camera says, "entering parking mode" but then after a few mins it shuts down.

My car is a 2018 440i gran coupe. The fuses I checked after half an hour of the camera shutting dow and they seem live with the circuit tester. The accessory fuse turns off but back on when the car is restarted. I have not tried hardwiring it direct to the battery as I heard bad things about it.

Looking at my install, is there something I am doing wrong?
Some cars use a CAN bus type of fuse system where the BCM controls the power going to certain fuses. You might want to search around and see what fuses may have power cut to them due to the BCM controlling them. I hope this helps.

Some cars use a CAN bus type of fuse system where the BCM controls the power going to certain fuses. You might want to search around and see what fuses may have power cut to them due to the BCM controlling them. I hope this helps.

Thank you. It looks like the fuses remain live an hour after everything else shuts down. The Vico thingy that controls the current passing to the cam from the battery is shut despite the fuses being live. Not sure what’s going on. Do you think the orientation of the fuse taps in okay?

What does the battery voltage read when it switches off? Are you using the Power magic Pro?

I haven't used a voltmeter unfortunately. Just have the circuit tester. I am using the vico power plus. This reads 12.2 volts.

I hardwired to the battery directly and still same behaviour. Looks like there is something I am definitely doing wrong. :(

Last edited:
Well I shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near electricals. If I had used common sense, I would have flicked that switch before spending days in the boot of my car trying to figure out why the camera wasn’t working.

Well I shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near electricals. If I had used common sense, I would have flicked that switch before spending days in the boot of my car trying to figure out why the camera wasn’t working.
So the switch on the power plus was set to off?

That's great! I'm glad you found out what was wrong with it.

Meh, we've all done it, right guys? Er guys??

I have my PMP in the glovebox and at some point something hit the switch and turned it off. It took me a good 3 weeks to work out why my dashcam was shutting down more or less as soon as i switched the ignition off :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: Thought the battery on my car was being destroyed by the cold but it turns out i'm just a dumba$$ which fortunately doesn't cost a thing!

Back