Hardwiring kit at work

RC23

Reaction score
Country
Germany
As soon as the engine stops and/or starts via Start/Stop automatic, the power to the dashcam is switched off. Instead of charging, the dashcam shows the battery symbol and then charges again shortly afterwards. If you now have a dashcam with a capacitor, the dashcam switches off and switches on again when the engine is running.

Frequent switching on and off is probably not a problem... is designed for this.

The solution is here:
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/signal-triggers/ign-3
This device has a 'latching relay' with a timer so that in "stop/start" cars power to the cam is not cut when the engine temporarily stops for traffic lights etc.
I know no users of the device but the manufacturer is said to build good high quality items by someone familiar with their other products so I feel safe in recommending it :) A few different versions of this are made to accomodate dashcams from different manufacturers ;)

Phil

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm from Germany: I'll do some research to find out what it's called here.

Rüdiger

Dashcams and cars with stop / start do seem to be a problem.
I hope i never get such stupid car ( barely able to live with ABS )

You can also switch off the Start Stop function by reprogramming. There are coders for setting many car functions.

Most cars have a button to temporarily disable the start / stop function.

Stop start keeps the tree huggers happy.

My dream car will make tree huggers want to kill them self, though even it being a diesel it dont pollute that much having to lug its 12 - 15 tonnes around.
But i might well upgrade the motor a little as the 300 or so BHP it have are not much, and 500 sound better to me. :)

Whether one likes the stop/start systems or not it is definitely good that someone is making this device to allow for a more friendly environment for dashcam usage :cool:

What I would like even more is if a dashcam manufacturer could incorporate something like this into their product line, something like an optional HWK, so that you had ensured compatibility and functioning along with a one-point source for your dashcam needs. This might prove to be a worthwhile market niche for somebody ;)

Phil

... and the car manufacturers are happy to burn less fuel through Start Stop in the strictly regulated WLTP consumption and emissions tests. Every gram less fuel (= CO2) costs the manufacturer fewer penalties in Europe. I don't know what the situation is in other countries.

Do not really understand how stop & start at traffic lights would improve environment. It seems to me that this depends on waiting time at traffic lights. It requires more fuel to start a vehicle. Furthermore, the starting process emits more toxic fume because of incomplete burning. For a short period of time at traffic light, stop & start produces more CO2 & toxic fume.

Last edited:
Yes, there is, of course, a lower limit at which an engine Start Stop automatic really brings fuel savings. At normal temperatures from 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) upwards, the limit is around 10 seconds. If it is colder and the engine is still cold, the limits are much higher because the engine has to come up to temperature first.

Unsure if stop /start was / is part of the emissions tests, but of course these tests also change along with the expectations in regard to emissions.
And not all of it is good, for instance now i often see people drive at night with only the daytime running lights on, so the idea of going back to cars not having light on all the time, well it will of course save some gasoline, but at what price.
Also see some cars with the lights on at night, but the damn LED daytime running light are actually brighter, only it is not focused so dont have the same reach as the regular driving light.

So good light is an absolute must for me. And the generator supplies the power for it in large quantities. Driving with daylight at night doesn't save gas, it just challenges safety. And guardian angels are not everywhere.

I'm not sure stop/start is good overall. Seems nobody considers that nothing acts alone. You now need a bigger battery, more robust starter, and a more complex OS for it which is extra weight that must be carried around. And there's added pollution when making those things which are otherwise unnecessary. I don't think "the big picture" had been considered well enough :cautious: The approach of designing and engineering is always to meet specific parameters, and as far as fuel efficiency and lowering pollution stop/start does aid that, but we could gain more of those goals by not stopping traffic to begin with which would also reduce traffic congestion which itself would allow more efficient and cleaner operation. We can move away from internal combustion car power. We can alter the functioning of traffic lights and traffic laws so that nobody has to sit and wait at an empty intersection for their light to change.

There are just so many aspects we don't seem to be considering or improving on when it's possible that might bring us far more than stop/start can. My point is that stop/start is probably not as good at reaching it's intended goals as can be done, and we need to always see the big picture before we begin making changes to any part of it if we want the best overall results ;)

And of course I'm always for anything which makes dashcams more common and improves the experience of their use for everyone. We have stop/start, it does help our world at least somewhat even if better might be possible, so lets have dashcams that work with it :cool:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R A119 V3 3
H A119 V3 14
Back