Hardwiring older vehicles with non standard fuses

seeadler1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a new member and have decided on the 9663DC PRO for two older vehicles ( 1993 MB and 1987GMC truck) and want to install basic two wire hardwiring systems on both, but I don't see that option on the SG website. I can try the 3 wire for parking kits but I 'm concerned it won't work with at least vehicle, the MB. After searching the forums and the Street Guardian website for answers I now need some help.

The first vehicle is an 90's MB diesel with the Euro style ceramic fuses with copper strips that control the electrical system, located in a driver side engine compartment fuse box. Obviously the SG hardwire/parking fuse kit plug and play kit won't work with this setup, so I'll have to splice into an accessory power wire, such as for the dome courtesy light / sunroof power switchlike I did with a old Rexing, as the wiring /switch is the closest electric source I can reach without tearing out the dash. I may not be close enough to an always on wire for the battery as well.

My question is, assuming the SG parking / hardwire system won't work on this vehicle, would the Cellpower Brand Hardwire Mini USB power supply, sans the mini usb connection with a splice into the accessory wire, work for this camera setup for just basic power when the car is running ?

The other vehicle is a late 80's GMC truck with ATO fuses on a driver side block under the dash, but its pretty cramped for space. Anyone with experience with this era vehicle setup ?

Last edited:
@jokiin will be online soon and might know about Euro ceramic fuses I'm not familiar. Splicing directly into wires is what the pros usually do, fuse taps are not required.
CELL POWER 2-wire hardwire kit is not compatible with SG9663DCPRO for parking mode, but it's fine to power via Switched Accessory (driving only) The plug is straight instead of 90 degrees though so will stick out the side more. ATO fuses should fit, just might not be able to use any covers above that if there is one.

If you dont want to use parking guard, you just use the supplied PSU as a hard wire kit, you do this by snapping off the cigarette lighter plug, and then wire in the 2 wires in that part of the wire ( red + / black - )
You can then go for what ever fuses you have, or get a inline glass fuse or what ever kind of fuse to put on the + wire in between it and where ever you tap in.

SG have a 2 wire hard wire kit too for the older DC models at least, but it is pretty much the same as come with the camera minus the 12 plug and some thicker wire.
But i doubt that kit can pull the DC pro system ?
SGGCHW-1.jpg

Thank you.

I also considered the SGGCX2PRO+ due to its improvements, but wifi access on the 9663 seems handy; will this be available in the future on the X2 pro? Does the rear camera attached to the SGGCX2 slow the fps down from 60 to the 30 on the front as well as the back, or is it 60 front and 30 back ? Last, are there any upcoming promotional sales codes via the SG USA website ? Thanks for your assistance.

If you dont want to use parking guard, you just use the supplied PSU as a hard wire kit, you do this by snapping off the cigarette lighter plug, and then wire in the 2 wires in that part of the wire ( red + / black - )
You can then go for what ever fuses you have, or get a inline glass fuse or what ever kind of fuse to put on the + wire in between it and where ever you tap in.

SG have a 2 wire hard wire kit too for the older DC models at least, but it is pretty much the same as come with the camera minus the 12 plug and some thicker wire.
But i doubt that kit can pull the DC pro system ?
SGGCHW-1.jpg
On the last question, according to the mod it won't work for parking but will with driving with the newer cameras. But the idea of using the supplied power cord for direct wire might work, I just don't want to risk a short and voiding a warranty due to electrical problems caused by my mods. I think the three wire factory system will work if I can rig it right.

Last edited:
SG recommend just snipping off the plug on the 12 V side of the inline PSU, thats the reason they changed to those kind of power supplies Vs the ones where the PSU was in the 12 V plug itself.

Thank you.

I also considered the SGGCX2PRO+ due to its improvements, but wifi access on the 9663 seems handy; will this be available in the future on the X2 pro? Does the rear camera attached to the SGGCX2 slow the fps down from 60 to the 30 on the front as well as the back, or is it 60 front and 30 back ? Last, are there any upcoming promotional sales codes via the SG USA website ? Thanks for your assistance.

60FPS only works in single channel mode. It's 30FPS/30FPS in dual channel mode.
30FPS has better results at night than 60FPS as well by the way. (trade off)
Private Message sent for discount when ordering direct.

Back