Hardwiring question

Hoochrunners

Reaction score
Country
United States
No electrical testing tools at my disposal right now. Using one of the Viofo 4 piece fuse taps and their hardwire kit. Will the 5amp provided fuse that is inline with the red 6" output lead have power if the fuse next to it for the original vehicle circuit is missing? I'm using a fuse tap that fits better than the style of the vehicle. So I don't have in this case a 10amp fuse for the vehicle circuit until I get one tomorrow. I cut off the glass tube style fuse from the hardwire kit. Circuit I'm using had a tap for my old dashcam.
I can't get power to the dash cam. Camera does work using USB outlet. Any ideas? USB end of the hardwire kit looks very cheap. Anyone have issues with these out of the bag? Thanks.

Vehicle is mini fuses but ATS tap works better with the longer legs.

Without a multimeter it's going to be difficult to find a source fuse that delivers power with the ignition circuit. This is especially important if you have a stop/start vehicle as you don't want power being cut, possibly causing a dashcam reboot every time the starter motor fires up. This may not affect Viofo but it does others.

That aside, the usual piggyback fuse tap method is to leave the supplied piggyback fuse in place, remove the current donor vehicle fuse, plug the piggyback fusetap in its place and put the removed fuse into the spare slot on the piggyback.

If you want to use a different fuse style then you need to get an identically rated fuse of that style.

The circuit I’m using is a good one. Used it for my last dash cam. Since I’m using a different fuse style tap than the vehicle fuses, until I can get a 10amp fuse the first fuse slot is empty. The 5amp fuse for the dash cam is in place. Is that dependent on having the 10amp in place to get its power? Should I use a 3amp? The fuse tap set from Viofo all have 5amps inserted.

Depends on which way around you put the fuse tap, if you can turn it 180 degrees then you might find that it works without the original fuse in place...

Depends on which way around you put the fuse tap, if you can turn it 180 degrees then you might find that it works without the original fuse in place...
Great idea. Just tried it. No luck. I’ll have fuses later today.

Fuses are in. I think I have a bad hardwire kit. Any idea how to test output at the USB connector?

Plug in anything that uses a mini usb and see if it starts charging. Old phone, SatNav.

Three working devices don’t work. I’ll contact Viofo about the bad hardwire kit.

Can you test the fuse on the dash camera side of the tap a fuse wire? Possible bad fuse? If not, then sounds like bad hardwire kit.

Unfortunately my tester is at the cabin. I’m on the second set of fuses. Both sets were brand new. I’ve sent Viofo an email seeing what they think.

Back