Hardwiring to RAP fuse, any hints please?

ram_rod

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fellow users, new member here with a question about hardwiring. I am planning to hardwire my A119S in to a 2011 Chev Impala.

Nearly every fuse I’ve tested is hot with the ignition switched off. Only one 10 amp RAP fuse appears to be switched, the only problem being that it’s very recessed in the fuse block and surround by other devices (as shown in the photo). This fuse block is located on the passenger side interior near the floor.

This is preventing me from using an Add-A-Circuit, right now there is no way one can fit in there. So, I am wondering if anyone makes a longer version of this that would fit in there, or maybe someone has an idea for a work around? I’m thinking of possibly getting some male and female spades and making up some extensions of an inch or two that would go between the block and the Add-A-Circuit.

Thanks, I hope someone will have some suggestions that are better than mine!

Attachments

• IMG_0009CR.JPG
    IMG_0009CR.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 19
You will need these type of fuse tap:

wire-tapped-mini-blade-fuse-20aImageMain-300.jpg

06efc079-1931-4b04-84a8-f4cbf5fe3e31.JPG

These need to inserted in the correct orientation, output wire on the cold side. You can add a 1amp inline fuse to protect the cam.

That’s exactly what I need. I didn’t know such a thing existed! Thanks again.

Thanks, I hope someone will have some suggestions that are better than mine!

In my case using an "add a fuse" meant I would not be able to use the cover over the fuse box.. So I soldered a wire to the cold side of a fuse. I filed down one of the spades so that the addition of the wire would keep the same width. Wasted a few fuses until I got it right. I also ended up having to notch the cover on the back side to allow the wires to exit. But.. when all is done.. the cover is on and my wires disappear into the maze behind the fuse box.. cleanly. Did not take the time to take a proper picture but..
The 7.5 fuse is done (except for placing it in my vice and squeezing the soldered wire to reduce its thickness to the same width as the spade). The blue one just shows where I am about to solder. My soldering skills are not the best either .. but its good enough.:)

Dascam fuse.jpg

Looks a bit messy. It would have been better to find the cold side wire coming out of the fusebox and splicing into it.

or if there's access to the back of the fuse box you can pop the cold side prong out and solder into it. Inline fuse needed for both

Looks a bit messy. It would have been better to find the cold side wire coming out of the fusebox and splicing into it.

or if there's access to the back of the fuse box you can pop the cold side prong out and solder into it. Inline fuse needed for both

Toyota engineers do not make it easy to access any wiring bundles coming out of my fuse box.. or.. access the back side of the fuse box. I considered both... and spent some time looking at the wiring schematics. But, in the end decided my, and I agree, "messy" approach would work for me. Had my soldering skills been better it would not have looked as messy.. and, the pictures I took are pretty poor.

Back