Hardwiring to the rear-view mirror

piguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just wanted to share how I mounted my Livue LB100. I wanted a clean and unobtrusive install with no wires running all over, and I also wanted the camera to turn on/off with the car.

My car has power going to the mirror for the garage door openers and such. Since I wanted to mount the camera behind the mirror so that it was centered in the windshield and also mostly hidden, this was perfect.

Basic steps:
  • Remove the mirror
  • Cut the camera's included power cable to the right length, and strip/tint the power/ground leads.
  • Connect the camera power cable wires to the appropriate wires in the mirror. I worked off a guide I found for my car where someone hardwired a radar detector. A critical step is to use a switched power wire (turns on and off with the car) rather than one that is always on. Or you may want to use the always-on power...
  • I opted NOT to solder or crimp the camera wires to the mirror wires, instead relying on a compression fit within the existing Molex connector. This makes it removable but perhaps more susceptible to coming out. It's been in there for almost a year with no issues so far
  • I dremeled out a cutout in the plastic cover that hides the mirror cables so that the camera cable could cleanly come out from the mirror stalk
  • Put the mirror back on
  • Install camera mount (I used the one that came with the car)
  • Put in camera

Pictures:

I would love to do this, but I want my camera connected to an always-on power source... Just out of curiosity, do you know which system or cables in your rear view mirror assembly are the always-on type? The only cables I have available nearby are the ones running to the rain sensor and cabin lighting. I tested cabin lighting but it looses power about 15 minutes after you lock down the car. I haven't tried testing the rain sensor cables. My rearview mirror doesn't have a garage door opener.

I like this approach, to the hardwire install thanks for pics. Do you need a fuse anywhere?

Back