Hardwiring....which 'Add a fuse' kit?

tsouzee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm about to order a QVIA T790, and would like to order an add-a-fuse kit at the same time. They come in many sizes (regular fuse vs mini fuse) Do most of you who hardwire tap into a regular size fuse? I have no clue what I'm doing.

Hello. I'm about to order a QVIA T790, and would like to order an add-a-fuse kit at the same time. They come in many sizes (regular fuse vs mini fuse) Do most of you who hardwire tap into a regular size fuse? I have no clue what I'm doing.

which you use depends on the vehicle type

Tell us the year, make and model of your car, and we might be able to help.

You're right. Totally left that information out. It is a 2017 Subaru WRX. I'm guessing I need a fuse that's always on? I want parking mode on.

According to the manual, there are spare fuses and a fuse puller on the underside of the lid for the main fuse box in the engine compartment. The interior fuse box is to the left of the steering column. I would pull a fuse on the interior fuse box to see what it is. There are so many different types nowadays, and you need to know what they are so you can buy the right Add A Circuit. The lid for the interior fuse box should have the layout of the fuses and what their purpose is. Unfortunately the online manuals don't seem to do that.

According to the manual, there are spare fuses and a fuse puller on the underside of the lid for the main fuse box in the engine compartment. The interior fuse box is to the left of the steering column. I would pull a fuse on the interior fuse box to see what it is. There are so many different types nowadays, and you need to know what they are so you can buy the right Add A Circuit. The lid for the interior fuse box should have the layout of the fuses and what their purpose is. Unfortunately the online manuals don't seem to do that.

I really appreciate you taking the time. I literally just got the car earlier today and a dashcam is what I want to do first. I will pull the lid tomorrow and do some research.

It looks like they use mini ATM fuses, but I would confirm that by taking one out.

auto-blade-fuses.png

Yank one out. Probably the low profile pink or mini purple one.

This is what I pulled from the fuse box this morning. This is fuse # 29 (Fog light). They are all the same size. Are these mini fuses? That's the tip of my index finger for a reference. I also snapped a pic of the fuse box grid. Can someone chime in and recommend which fuse I should use? I would like to use parking mode when the car is off.

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_112952120.jpg
    IMG_20160827_112952120.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20160827_113014048.jpg
    IMG_20160827_113014048.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20160827_113209405.jpg
    IMG_20160827_113209405.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
This is what I pulled from the fuse box this morning. This is fuse # 29 (Fog light). They are all the same size. Are these mini fuses? That's the tip of my index finger for a reference. I also snapped a pic of the fuse box grid. Can someone chime in and recommend which fuse I should use? I would like to use parking mode when the car is off.

Yes, as @jokiin mentioned thats a Mini fuse.
Beware not buying "mini low profile", ref.to @flank post above. Low profile mini will not fit into standard Mini slot.

Below you may see how the Mini add-a-fuss / piggy back looks like which you may find from US amazon / eBay.

20160828_114317.jpg

Below is comparison of standard Mini vs Low profile Mini fuse add-a-circuit.

20160828_115551.jpg

Thank you jokiin and Niko. I looked online and only found them up to a 10amp rating. Most of the amp ratings in my fuse box are 10 amps and up. Can I buy one of these from you?

Thank you jokiin and Niko. I looked online and only found them up to a 10amp rating. Most of the amp ratings in my fuse box are 10 amps and up. Can I buy one of these from you?
You can tap into a 10 amp fuse, but best to put in a 5 amp fuse for the side that goes to the dash camera.

You can select any Amperage fuse in your fuse box except the ones which are responsible for vital functions like Airbag, alarm, immobiliser, central lock.
I am in EU, so delivery will take some time ( usually 10 days ), but you better talk to @Pier28, he should have similar complete set US stock.

The way piggy back works is described below:

a1.jpg

You can select any Amperage fuse in your fuse box except the ones which are responsible for vital functions like Airbag, alarm, immobiliser, central lock.
I am in EU, so delivery will take some time ( usually 10 days ), but you better talk to @Pier28, he should have similar complete set US stock.

The way piggy back works is described below:

View attachment 25656

Niko can you tap a 5 amp fuse off an original 20/30 or so amp original fuse line, with no problems? It's the one question that I have never been able to get an answer about ?
I can't see why it would make any difference if the original line fuse is a lot larger then the tap in link. But I really don't know.

tsouzee, please excuse my barging in, I thought you might like the answer to this question also.

Niko can you tap a 5 amp fuse off an original 20/30 or so amp original fuse line, with no problems? It's the one question that I have never been able to get an answer about ?
I can't see why it would make any difference if the original line fuse is a lot larger then the tap in link. But I really don't know.

that would be no problem

tsouzee, please excuse my barging in, I thought you might like the answer to this question also.
You need to understand that the tap a fuse creates an entirely different circuit for the extra fuse. The 20A fuse is still protecting the circuit it was protecting before. The 5A fuse you add on protects its own circuit, completely separate from the 20A fuse. You put it in the part that the wire comes out of, and you put the original fuse in the other socket.

Add-A-Fuse.jpg

You need to understand that the tap a fuse creates an entirely different circuit for the extra fuse. The 20A fuse is still protecting the circuit it was protecting before. The 5A fuse you add on protects its own circuit, completely separate from the 20A fuse. You put it in the part that the wire comes out of, and you put the original fuse in the other socket.

View attachment 25792
Hi Paul, I understand that part, it was just putting a low amp fuse off a line with a high amp fuse that worried me, thanks for clearing things up for me.

Hello, I had a quick question with a similar issue. In the process of installing the thinkware f750. I know it draws 3.5W
I want to hardwire install it. I'm going to use the heated seat as a constant 15A fuse and the cigarette lighter as the ACC wich is a 10A fuse. So would using a 5A with the add-a-fuse be OK? Or would I have to get a lower fuse? As stated above the added fuse will be on a different circuit. Newbie on this and just wanna double check so I don't mess anything up. I would really appreciate it. Also I have a 16 WRX. Same as the 17

Back