Hardwiring without PMP?

Lynn D.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm approaching the 1 year mark of owning my Blackvue DR650 GW 2 ch camera. The camera has had recording gaps from the beginning.

In March, the distributor replaced the SD card. The problems continued. In November, the camera was sent in without the power cable, the coaxial cable and SD card was replaced. The distributor said there were no problems operating and returned the unit.

Today we checked the ground wire per the distributor and put a multimeter on it with no issues. We removed the PMP and power was hardwired direct to the fuse box. After parking the car in the garage, the camera worked for about an hour and shut off. When I checked on it, the camera was off. I unplugged and plugged it back in and still no power.

Do you think the issue is the power cable? Has anyone else hardwired w/o PMP? I'm so frustrated over paying for a high dollar camera and it not working. I owned a G1WC prior to this and never had a problem.

What make of car is it Lots now have delay shutoff on quite a few fuses. It would pay to shut the car off leave it for the hour and then put a meter on the fuse. How have you connected the wires to a fuse. Propely with an addafuse I would hope and not the bodgy way of a wire down the side of a fuse.

Dont blame the camera till you fault find logically.

What make of car is it Lots now have delay shutoff on quite a few fuses. It would pay to shut the car off leave it for the hour and then put a meter on the fuse.
And.. even that might not be enough to find a true source of always on. Just opening a door (or walking near on keyless models) might be enough to activate some circuits. There is a lot of sophisticated circuitry in upscale cars that check and shut off circuits that are drawing power after the vehicle is shut off. Knowing the vehicle brand and model.. and, which fuses were tapped could help (as Hillbilly suggested)

The company the camera was purchased from recomended to check the ground to the PMP and that the ground could be the issue. I removed the PMP completely and wired in a socket using an add a fuse to a fuse that has voltage weather the ignition is on or off. so the camera now has voltage all the time. When the camera stops working the LED lights on the front and rear cameras are still illuminated.
If the fuse is shut off by the car then how are the lights still on on the cameras.

The vehicle is a 2014 Subaru BRZ.

addafuse correct.jpg

Well firstly you have a 15 amp fuse in there where you only need a 2 Secondly as I said did you actually meter out the original fuse its in because some are on ALL THE TIME

You contradict your self You say you connected the camera to fuses that are on all the time,

Then you wonder why the lights stay on on the cameras.

If the fuse is permantly on wouldnt it be logical that the lights would stay on forever or at least till your battery goes flat.

What you wnat is to wire it to fuses that are accessory powered so that camera goes off with ignition. Also make sure you have the addafuses around the correct way. Tak them out and meter each side of the fuse sockets. In the picture they should have power on the left and if not reverse the addafuses.

Hillbilly, let me reiterate the origional complaint. THE CAMERA STOPS WORKING..... Black Box My Car is saying the problem was in the grounding of the circuit. I believe the issue is with the camera itself, so to remove any question that the wiring was incorrect I removed the PMP and wired the camera into a fuse socket that is live all the time. After doing this the camera stopped working again but as i said earlier the camera has a LED light that remained on. This is telling me the camera still has voltage and that the issue is not the wiring.
AS for the fuse amperage used in the add a fuse I don't think it really matters if the amperage of the fuse in the Blackvue power cord is in place. As it should blow way before the one I used just to provide voltage to the camera.

Also the front camera is getting very hot to the touch so with my laser thermometer it measures it was 128 degrees F° which I believe is too hot.

Thanks for your helpful input.

Beccause you said you had hardwired it I naturally assumed that the ciggy plug with the fuse was no longer there, because if it was you wouldnt need two fuses
Your description is a bit vague and misleading

To prove whether its the car or the camera Take it out and try it in a different vehicle

Cameras do get to hot to touch frequently so do the SD cards, have nearly burnt my fingers on them but still working

If.. there are lights on.. on the camera, obviously there is power getting to the camera. Some folk have had intermittent stopping problems that was blamed on the make of the SD card... If.. it stops with the original SD card.. and.. the original firmware time to send it back...

Just got my replacement camera and so far no problems....everything is working.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR650GW (1CH or 2CH) 4
Back