Hardwiring XS and power draw

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
This weekend we were traveling in a rental car when I got in an accident. I have GC, but it's permanently installed in my car. It's made me realize I'd like something I can take with me when traveling.

So I'm looking at picking up the XS for the girlfriend's car and for taking with us when traveling and renting cars. It looks like it's a native 12V barrel connector as compared to my GC with its 12V-to-5V USB conversion. I'd like to keep the plug intact for travel.

So what I'd like to know is what is the maximum power draw (in 12V amperes) of the camera, so I know how to fuse it properly. 5A should be sufficient, yes, including supporting a radar detector that draws less than 1 amp? And for the barrel connector, which size it and is the center positive or negative? There doesn't seem to be a ready-made hardwire kit, so I'm looking to make my own.

Also, is the V2 going to be available in time to be delivered for a trip we're taking to Germany and leaving on September 19?

5A fuse is always the normal for any dashcam. It's there to protect the vehicle more than the dashcam.

SG9665XS V1/V2 uses a "nokia" 35135 barrel connector for power and excepts 12V straight in. (no 5V conversion in the cord)
I don't have the tip negative/positive info handy. @jokiin will chime in with the other details. (exact power draws etc) should be around 350mA though if I had to guess.

Vico-Power PLUS is the recommended hard wire kit.

I just got a a few XS V2 in, but they won't be on Amazon for a few weeks still. I can sell/ship you one directly right away. I'll send a private message now.
(priority mail is no problem)

would have to double check the power consumption, it's below 300mAh from memory, power is center positive, we can probably hook you up with a spare power cord so you can use one for hardwire and have a spare for when you travel

Looking forward to it!

Back