Has anyone ever fitted a rear cam to a car with a folding hard top ?

Aph

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
G/SGZC12SG & Mini 0906
I have owned a well-used Street Guardian Powerucc Panorama G for over 2 years which has never let me down (Thank you Jon)

I'm considering buying a cam for the other two cars I own, preferably Dual Channel, as I'm getting hacked-off changing the camera from car-to-car. Encouraged by the reliability and performance of the G, I am looking at the SG9663DC for the 4x4.

However one of the cars is a Mercedes SLK320 which I believe has one of the best examples of auto-architecture when it comes down to the folding of its hardtop into the boot. (I can watch it fold in and out for ages) http://www.formymercedes.com/images/mbslk_anim[1].gif

Which DC camera unit would be best for this particular application and where do I put the rear camera where it won't get crushed and where it will always be located in a useable location?

Last edited:
Best option for such a vehivle are to get the camera ( rear ) installed in one of the headreasts as there are nothing else out back with the roof down.

BUT this then mean that with the roof up there will be precious little to see out back on that camera.

I am not sure if you could install a camera that then fold away with the roof, and then you have no rear camera with the roof down.

Quite a predicament.

Doh :rolleyes: That will work too.

is it possible for DC ? could we use rear cam of RC to do so ?

it won't work with the RC external cam, we will be offering an external cam option at a later date, we have a few dual channel models we are working on at the moment and the cameras from each will be interchangeable

Picatinny cameras, one size fit all so to say. :cool:

The little old ladies in town better watch out after nightfall :greedy:

I have owned a well-used Street Guardian Powerucc Panorama G for over 2 years which has never let me down (Thank you Jon)

I'm considering buying a cam for the other two cars I own, preferably Dual Channel, as I'm getting hacked-off changing the camera from car-to-car. Encouraged by the reliability and performance of the G, I am looking at the SG9663DC for the 4x4.

However one of the cars is a Mercedes SLK320 which I believe has one of the best examples of auto-architecture when it comes down to the folding of its hardtop into the boot. (I can watch it fold in and out for ages) http://www.formymercedes.com/images/mbslk_anim[1].gif

Which DC camera unit would be best for this particular application and where do I put the rear camera where it won't get crushed and where it will always be located in a useable location?

Volvo C70 (folding hardtop) owner here - I ran a BlackSys CF-100 in it for over a year, before removing it to trade that car in for a newer one of the same model. I mounted the rear cam on the nearside rollover hoop cover behind the headrest and, although still being quite low to the rest of the car, I was surprised by how much I could see with it, even with the roof up. I could always get a good record of what went on, and even got number plates with it under the right circumstances, which is as much as you could expect.

Having had a bit of an incident yesterday in the new car, I was looking to install the CF-100 again today. Unfortunately the tightening ring on the windscreen mount balljoint gave up as I uninstalled it from the old car. Although I have another ring spare from a mount for one of those tube-shaped action cams that will fit the thread, it's too bulky to allow the balljoint to get the angle I need for mounting on the windscreen. I might try modifying the ring but to be honest, I'm more interested in the forthcoming SG dual channel products.

Does anyone know, will the SG9663DC rear cam be suitable to mount on a (basically) flat horizontal surface or does it need to hang from a rear windscreen?

not sure what you mean mount wise

The rear cam would need to be usable in the same orientation as if it were a front cam mounted directly on the dashboard, except it would be more like a rear parcel shelf and facing out of the rear windscreen. If the DC is anything like the GC, that would mean it was upside down.

Yeah that would be upside down
Thanks for confirmation. Sounds like I will need to soldier on with the CF-100 and wait for the SG dual remote then.

Back