Has anyone laid their hands on a "70mai Dash Cam Pro" yet?

I formatted my memory card to exFat.
I copied the update directory to the card.
I held down the big button until the unit switched off.
I held down the right button and the big button at the same time.
It displayed a screen which when translated said something about "updating firmware, don't power off", then the red X appeared.
I checked the memory card, it still had the update folder (with about 30mb of data)
I erased the memory card, copied "update" again. It still wouldn't update.
I tried another memory card and copied "update". It still wouldn't update.

Does anyone have any suggestions? When I power on the dash cam, it shows the camera image on the screen. However, I don't seem to hear any Chinese and I can't seem to access any menus.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

For any updates I'd use small (max 4GB) card formatted as FAT ...it never failed

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks stuff.hunter.
The 70mai had saved video to the card at one stage, so i'm not confident this is a fix. However, I will try it when I get my hands on a 4gb card.

It not need to be 4gb mate, can be any card formatted FAT , 1gb or even less just need to have enough capacity to copy firmware on

I finally solved why my cash cam wouldn't update. Here are the steps that worked for me (thanks to a post from LibErty and nosy Gorilla, combined).

These instructions only apply to the 70mai Dash Cam Pro

1. If prompted, format the storage card by pressing the far most right button.
  2. If not prompted at step 1, make sure your storage card is formatted to exFAT or FAT (default block size).
  3. Insert the storage card in the dash cam (if it's not already in the dash cam).
  4. Extract the folder called "update" out of the rar folder that Rekysam provided. Copy this folder to the root folder of the storage card.
  5. Extract the files in the folder called "update" out of the rar folder that Rekysam provided. Put these files in the root folder of the storage card (yes, the process would NOT work for me unless I did steps 4 and 5. I tried one, then the other. It only worked with BOTH!!).
  6. Ensure the dash cam is plugged into an active power source to avoid running out of battery during the update and because this is what I did when it worked.
  7. Make sure the dash cam is turned off at this point. This can be done by holding the long button (below the 4 short buttons) for about 10 seconds until the screen switches off.
  8. After the dash cam is off, insert the memory card. The dash cam should remain off. If there are any signs of life from the dash cam, repeat step 7.
  9. Now hold the right most button. While holding the last-mentioned button, hold the long button (below the 4 short buttons) at the same time.
  10. Release both buttons once the update is being installed. If a red cross appears, the update has failed and the "update" folder in the storage might have been deleted. Repeat again from step 4.
  11. The screen will blank while the update is happening - you will not be notified at any time, even when it's updated successfully. I waited 5 minutes. When I pressed any button on the dash cam, the menus came up in English.
If you have problems, make sure all of the files are in the "update" folder and the root directory. The files should total about 44mb (or about 22mb in the "update" directory and 22mb in the root directory).
If this still doesn't work, make sure you have formatted the storage card correctly.
If this still doesn't work, try a different storage card.

I can confirm the install works on a 32gb and 128gb storage card. stuff.hunter said it worked on a 4gb storage card.
Edited to fix numbering.
Good luck

Mr Gormsby

Last edited:
After the dash cam is off, insert the memory card. The dash cam should remain off. If there are any signs of life from the dash cam, repeat step 7

I didn't see a "step 7 in your post- is this a typo?

Thanks for the very clear sharing of this (y)

Phil

I didn't see a "step 7 in your post- is this a typo?

Thanks for the very clear sharing of this (y)

Phil
Thanks Phil.
When I added the note as a separate line, the numbering re-started. That was a good pickup. Thank you.

Hi all,

Just wondering what firmware you guys are on. I am on 1.1.4 but I also see 1.1.7 although I think people either make a mistake or it's the first 70mai firmware. What about you?

According to the manufacturer, the latest us version is 1.0.4na. This is what they told me today (about 2h ago),

1.0.4 is Chinese version.
1.0.4na is north American version.
1.0.4ru is Russia version.

According to the manufacturer, the latest us version is 1.0.4na. This is what they told me today (about 2h ago),

1.0.4 is Chinese version.
1.0.4na is north American version.
1.0.4ru is Russia version.

Thank you for your quick answer! That clarifies it then :) Hope more will come

Thanks Gang, new member, and I got it to work, took me a couple goes, was annoyed I didnt spot it was chinese version, but sorted now all I have to do is install, its for wifes car

Goining well, Stupid question once flashed can I remove and replace with larger capacity Memory card, also all clips 1min long ? any reason so short,
for easy downloading, any reason or way to make them longer ?

Goining well, Stupid question once flashed can I remove and replace with larger capacity Memory card, also all clips 1min long ? any reason so short,
for easy downloading, any reason or way to make them longer ?
Sure you can mate, guess max supported cards capacity is 64gb but 128gb might work as well.
About 1min clips, that's standard for 70mai and theres no way to increase it, at least for now

There have been GPS updates for international products. But I bought the Chinese version. And can not update GPS. sad

Sure you can mate, guess max supported cards capacity is 64gb but 128gb might work as well.
About 1min clips, that's standard for 70mai and theres no way to increase it, at least for now

Hey stuff.hunter,

I've been running mine with a 128gb card without problem for a few months. The specs say up to 64gb. If someone already has a 128gb card, give it a go. Often, the testers either "cut and paste" lines like "up to 64gb", or that's the card they had at the time when they were testing. How do I know? I worked for large engineering organisations for many years. I used to pick these sorts of things up all the time!

Mr Gormsby
PS If you're looking for a good laugh, watch Mr Gormsby on YouTube. It was a brilliant New Zealand TV production. I only discovered it about a year ago and almost cried laughing.

I would like to report that both units of my 70Mai Pro (one was beta sample which I didn't pay for, the other was Indiegogo officially shipped item) have suffered from boot loop, owing to LiPo battery unable to retain charge. So it keeps drawing too much current from the charger trying to pump charge into the LiPo battery and causing the charger to reset OCP. I guess that's the end of the road for battery-based dashcams for me.

Back