Has anyone replaced the battery in a 512GW.

Bokah

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's time to replace my battery in my 512GW.
It's constantly rebooting.
Bit of a joke really, as Ive only had just over a year.
But anyway has anybody done this with theirs..?

check with Nextbase, I'm sure I've seen mentioned here previously that they have replacement batteries available, not difficult to replace

I’ve heard in some models that soldering is involved? Not just a simple case of taking the dash cam apart & disconnect leads from the battery?

Curiosity got the better of me.
d0e0bd5760abe454e5b967bc1538dee9.jpg
c55fffa7201df628cb5a4ae9db27b597.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Ive ordered a 400mAH.

Last edited:
Well at least your brave enough to take it apart! Hope you source the correct battery

Given the relatively short life of recharheable batteries what a shame they aren't pop out pop in like my home cordless phone.

After 300 to 500 recharge cycles they need replacing.

And don't get me started on electric toothbrushes that have to be binned after 2 years for the same reason

I have x2 mobius action camera also (probably the size of a tic tac box) & the internal battery’s are plug in & plug out so its really easy to swap when there knackered. The super capacitor battery is only £7! The normal Battery’s are around £5... so cheap. If only nextbase done this instead of having to send them off & leave the user without a dashcam for a few days etc

Given the relatively short life of recharheable batteries what a shame they aren't pop out pop in like my home cordless phone.

After 300 to 500 recharge cycles they need replacing.

And don't get me started on electric toothbrushes that have to be binned after 2 years for the same reason
What a great idea. An instantly replacable battery.
Things like this though may have to happen, under the new law that may come in, called "the right to repair."

Now ive noticed that these are LiPo batteries.
My other hobby was radio controlled helicopters and planes a few years ago.
And although the batteries in those things were infinitely more powerful than these little things in the dashcam. They are still the same chemical composition.

There was a remote possibility that these things would catch fire.
Its why I always used to use a LiPo charge bag should that happen.

Fortunately that never happened.
But I have seen the results of LiPo fires. And in the back of your mind you think to yourself.."what if..?."

The recent move to capacitor in the 380 has proved to be the perfect answer for me. No longer do I have to remember to charge the cam, given my very low mileage.

Curiosity got the better of me.
d0e0bd5760abe454e5b967bc1538dee9.jpg
c55fffa7201df628cb5a4ae9db27b597.jpg

Wonder if you could replace it with a capacitor. Let us know how you get on with the 400mah battery

Wonder if you could replace it with a capacitor. Let us know how you get on with the 400mah battery
Will do.. Ive got a 300mAH, in case the 400mAH doesnt fit.

My 512GW began doing this after a couple of weeks and then my replacement began doing it instantly. Is this just bad luck or do I need to now dig deeper and test my car's battery and the hardwire kit?

Is your car stop/start ?

If so see if that circuit stays powered during the start

My 512GW began doing this after a couple of weeks and then my replacement began doing it instantly. Is this just bad luck or do I need to now dig deeper and test my car's battery and the hardwire kit?
Bit unfortunate.
But id still think it would be battery related.

Is your car stop/start ?

If so see if that circuit stays powered during the start
Thats very plausible.

This is something that is cropping up on many car related forums where third party equipment has been 'piggybacked' onto an existing circuit.
There are a lot of circuits that will temporarily lose power during the starter motor phase to give it as much power as possible.
Finding one that doesn't is another matter.

So I completed the job with a 400mAH battery. That should give me more run time. we'll see. Pictures to follow.

This is the link i used for this battery.
3.7v 400mAH Battery.

Back