Has anyone replaced the battery in a 512GW.

@Bokah how much bigger is the 400mah battery. Is there still plenty of room to install it?. I see there is a 450mah version as well but wondered if that would be too big.

@Bokah how much bigger is the 400mah battery. Is there still plenty of room to install it?. I see there is a 450mah version as well but wondered if that would be too big.
Its all to do with the dimensions.
The 400mah fitted just about right.
And if the 450 was the same size, you should be okay.
Personally I wouldnt go any bigger.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

More power doesn't always mean a larger battery.

Look at AA and AAA rechargeables. All the correct size but vary in power.

More power doesn't always mean a larger battery.

Look at AA and AAA rechargeables. All the correct size but vary in power.
He only has to make sure that the 450mah, is of the same dimensions as the 400mah. Any bigger, and I think it may cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Is it still working ok??

Mine has decided to play up now - so looking to replace the battery, as after a night's charge at home - it only stays on for about a minute before shutting down with a low battery...

Found these instructions online:-

1: Remove the SD card
2: Remove the 4 small cross-head screws (all the same size) from the camera housing exterior
3: Carefully crack open the case - don't pull the rear housing away too much, there are some fine wires connecting this to the main circuit board.
4: Remove the 4 small cross-head screws from the corners of the circuit board (keep separately from the above screws, they are different.)
5: Remove the 2 small cross head screws from the magnetic mount / gps holder -not sure if this was necessary but I did it anyway to gain better access
6: Gently prise up the circuit board, it should unclip from the front housing (some small plastic lugs). This gives access to the battery inside the front housing.
7: Unsolder the battery connections and prise out the battery - Its held in place on the front housing by some sticky double sided rubbery stuff.
8: Fit a new battery (I used some strong double sided tape) and solder the connections.
9: Re-assemble the camera in reverse order - make sure the circuit board lies correctly in the front housing with all sockets and LED's aligned correctly before screwing down, otherwise the rear housing wont fit.

Last edited:
@Bokah So this looks like you didn't desolder but cut the wires on both batteries and then tied and heat shrunk them with some wrap?

Do nextbase sell the batteries... Or best off buying from your link?

@Bokah So this looks like you didn't desolder but cut the wires on both batteries and then tied and heat shrunk them with some wrap?
Its exactly what I did. Except I did solder the tied pieces of wire together, before heatshrinking them.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Do nextbase sell the batteries... Or best off buying from your link?
Nextbase used to sell you the batteries. But with the new line of dashcams. Im not sure they still do. Give them a call.

Is it still working ok??

Mine has decided to play up now - so looking to replace the battery, as after a night's charge at home - it only stays on for about a minute before shutting down with a low battery...

Found these instructions online:-

1: Remove the SD card
2: Remove the 4 small cross-head screws (all the same size) from the camera housing exterior
3: Carefully crack open the case - don't pull the rear housing away too much, there are some fine wires connecting this to the main circuit board.
4: Remove the 4 small cross-head screws from the corners of the circuit board (keep separately from the above screws, they are different.)
5: Remove the 2 small cross head screws from the magnetic mount / gps holder -not sure if this was necessary but I did it anyway to gain better access
6: Gently prise up the circuit board, it should unclip from the front housing (some small plastic lugs). This gives access to the battery inside the front housing.
7: Unsolder the battery connections and prise out the battery - Its held in place on the front housing by some sticky double sided rubbery stuff.
8: Fit a new battery (I used some strong double sided tape) and solder the connections.
9: Re-assemble the camera in reverse order - make sure the circuit board lies correctly in the front housing with all sockets and LED's aligned correctly before screwing down, otherwise the rear housing wont fit.
This sounds like you don't need to detach the screen perhaps like @Bokah did?

Just mentally accepting the expensive delivery charges from cool components before I order. They don't seem to allow royal mail only Ups, likely as its a battery.

This sounds like you don't need to detach the screen perhaps like @Bokah did?

Just mentally accepting the expensive delivery charges from cool components before I order. They don't seem to allow royal mail only Ups, likely as its a battery.
Its not really a big deal detaching the screen. You may still be able to leave it attached whilst replacing the battery, but it may get damaged..?

Royalmail wont touch that battery because of the nature of it. Its Lithium polymer.

Last edited:
Gonna just twist the wires and put some electrical tape around.

I feel like I'll be going back in in 12 months to replace again, so solder and shrink wrap might be a bit to undeserving of it! Lol
vCKE6Kb.jpg

Be aware that lithium batteries present a severe fire risk if shorted out. Be careful with the insulation that has to survive long term (well, until next year anyway ;) ).

Be aware that lithium batteries present a severe fire risk if shorted out. Be careful with the insulation that has to survive long term (well, until next year anyway ;) ).
Fair point. I might glue gun the twisted wire as well.

Plus it's fairly tight in there, so doubt anything will move.

Tonight is stage 2. Just got to survive the train back from London.

Last edited:
Done.

Bit of a squeeze getting the pcb back in and aligned. I think with the battery and the extra length of wires, it needed a little pursuasion.

Charged and now decharging to see how long it'll last.

@Bokah defo did a better job. I soldered and taped.

One thing, there looks to be an earth wire to the front facsia, that for me protruded into the case a bit and took space, so had to push it the wire down against its solder to lay it flatter.

Not bad. 1st discharge gave 10min of on without recording, 30mins of recording and then 10mins of messing with settings.

You'll see me again if a) I buy a new dashcam b) I replace the battery again, C) it blows up.

Last edited:
Hopefully not the latter.

Back